SC 2014 Profile: Steven Motlop

Started by Football Factory, October 13, 2013, 12:36:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Football Factory

PLAYER PROFILE:  STEVEN MOTLOP

FANTASY STATS

HISTORY:

The Motlop family has a very famous background with Daniel Motlop playing AFL for Port Adelaide and Shannon Motlop a premiership player for North Melbourne in 1999. Motlop was selected by Geelong with the 39th pick in the 2008 AFL Draft. He had previously been playing with the Wanderers in the Northern Territory. He is the younger brother of former North Melbourne premiership player Shannon and former Port Adelaide forward Daniel Motlop, and the cousin of Port's Marlon Motlop.

His performances at the 2008 National AFL Under 18 and Under 16 Championships were hampered by a shoulder injury, which was operated on prior to the draft, but he still managed to kick five goals in the division two final at the MCG.

Motlop dislocated his shoulder in his debut AFL match against Hawthorn during the second quarter in the 2010 Round Two match.

In round 6 of the 2012 AFL season Motlop was awarded the round nomination for the 2012 AFL Rising Star, after gathering 28 possessions against Melbourne.

After a stellar 2013 season, Motlop was selected in the AFL Players' Association's inaugural under 22 team.

SUMMARY:

Lightning fast and skilful half-forward who played four games midway through the 2011 season, then had a breakout season in 2012, notching 22 games and kicking 26 goals.

In 2013 he had a further breakout season playing 21 games and kicking 44 goals. Has added a new dimension to the Geelong forward line, enabling the Cats to score on the break far more often.

Motlop scored over 100 on seven occasions and in the 90's three times. Finished with an average of 81.9 but was subbed in rounds 21,22 and 23 scoring only 16 in round 23 which lowered his average.

What will Motlop be worth in 2014 ? he will be valued at an average of 81 but is undervalued due to injury/sub. He seems to be getting better every year will 2014 be a further breakout year for Motlop ?  . Im thinking his price will deter alot of people but has the potential to be a premium supercoach forward one day.

Was selected for the indigenous team touring Ireland.

http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2013-10-08/stokes-and-motlop-in-aus-side

PLAYER PROFILE UPDATE:  24/12/2013  ... Motlop's FanPlanner price in 2014 is $441,800, he might be one of those guys i take a punt on in 2014  :)

tbagrocks

This young man impresses me, almost a real option up forward, could be his year?

Maybe, right up there in my thoughts, unlikely but, he is a real talent

Ricochet

very very nice profile FF! I like Motlop as a pick, underpriced because of his sub games. Wasn't in my first fanplanner team but definitely on the shortlist

Vinny

He might be my only risky pick this year. Gunnnnnn!

Ricochet

http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2014-01-17/cats-cautious-on-motlop

Geelong is playing a game of wait and see with young gun Steven Motlop who is struggling with a knee injury.

Motlop has been experiencing the same patella tendonitis problem he carried through the 2013 season throughout this preseason.

The Cats are unsure as yet whether the injury will require surgery but are confident Motlop will not spend a significant amount of the early part of the season on the sidelines.

General manager of football, Neil Balme, said the Cats will remain cautious with the young star.

"The injury is something Steven has managed through the 2013 season and unfortunately it is still causing him some problems." Balme said.

"His workload has been managed so far but we aren't seeing the results from this we had hoped."

"We are unsure yet whether taking the surgical option is the best course of action but a decision will be made on that in due course."

"We don't imagine if we went with the surgery option it would cause him to miss a significant part of the start of the season as it would be fairly minor."

Motlop exploded on the AFL scene in 2013 becoming a crucial part of the Cats line-up.

auscoyote

Damn, that throws a spanner in the works, Welcome Pav instead

Vinny

Flower :'(

I was actually strongly considering starting him, gun.

Football Factory

Spewin i was gonna put him in my team this year   :(

If he has a slow start to the year maybe he will be a better pick next year ?

Rusty00

Quote from: vinny on January 18, 2014, 02:14:19 AM

Same here. Might have to reassess

Keeper27

Quote from: Rusty00 on January 18, 2014, 04:42:16 PM
Quote from: vinny on January 18, 2014, 02:14:19 AM

Same here. Might have to reassess

after reading this I've decided to go with Darling instead.
WCE easy run of games. should go up to 85+ then upgrade