Main Menu

Dees swelter through training

Started by Ricochet, January 17, 2014, 04:21:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ricochet

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2014-01-17/dees-swelter-through-training

MELBOURNE has sweltered through an intense training session lasting more than two hours at Casey Fields, taking advantage of an ice-cool refrigerated truck for brief breaks.

The session wasnt without some friendly fire. Former Bulldog Daniel Cross left the track after copping a knock to the nose while Matt Jones pushed on after appearing to injure his calf.

"[It is] pretty hot - Ive had about 10 minutes to cool down and I still cant cool down," midfielder Nathan Jones told reporters after the session.

Jack Watts, who has been training with the midfield group, estimated he may have lost up to three kilograms of body weight through the session, but said the chill breaks helped.

"[It] saved me today, I was almost done and then we got to go in the cooldown truck and really freshen up," Watts said.

"Its been a solid week, but thats footy isnt it, its pre-season."

Star recruit Bernie Vince remains on a modified program. He ran laps on a separate oval while key forward duo Chris Dawes and Mitch Clark also trained away from the main group.

Dawes had a knee clean-up in the off-season while Clark is on the comeback trail after multiple foot problems.

Exciting youngster Jesse Hogan trained indoors after jarring his knee last week.

Melbournes first NAB Challenge match is on Friday February 14 against Richmond at Etihad Stadium as part of the AFL's new 18 games in 18 days format.

Purple 77

Fingers crossed they will all be fit for the season, especially the forward line trio. Watts will certainly be interesting. Still psyched about getting Roos in.

Btw, the self ban has lifted:

Quote from: Purple 77 on April 06, 2013, 10:30:49 PM
Nah, that's the final straw.

You will not see me contribute or post in this Melbourne section for the rest of 2013. I don't see why I should contribute to a team that does nothing for it's supporters.

Cya Melbourne Section, maybe 2014!

^^ what a relisation-of-a-7th-hellish-year reaction looks like lol. I crack myself up when I'm angry.

Still gun-shy approaching any high hopes for 2014, but i'd would love a percentage of 80-85 and/or 6 wins this year. Just signs of improvement and no more games being blown out of the water.

Go Melb! Don't flower me and the melb faithful for an eighth straight year please, we deserve better.

Still, can't ever abort the red and the blue!

_wato

Quote from: Purple 77 on January 17, 2014, 06:27:06 PM
Fingers crossed they will all be fit for the season, especially the forward line trio. Watts will certainly be interesting. Still psyched about getting Roos in.

Btw, the self ban has lifted:

Quote from: Purple 77 on April 06, 2013, 10:30:49 PM
Nah, that's the final straw.

You will not see me contribute or post in this Melbourne section for the rest of 2013. I don't see why I should contribute to a team that does nothing for it's supporters.

Cya Melbourne Section, maybe 2014!

^^ what a relisation-of-a-7th-hellish-year reaction looks like lol. I crack myself up when I'm angry.

Still gun-shy approaching any high hopes for 2014, but i'd would love a percentage of 80-85 and/or 6 wins this year. Just signs of improvement and no more games being blown out of the water.

Go Melb! Don't flower me and the melb faithful for an eighth straight year please, we deserve better.

Still, can't ever abort the red and the blue!

Love it mate, keep the faith. Every team has its ups and downs, just seems Melbourne's is longer than most people would like.
You boys have a very bright future ahead of you.

Purple 77

_wato

Quote from: Purple 77 on January 21, 2014, 07:54:28 PM
Cheers wato  :)

No worries mate! I can't wait to see them competitive again, will be great for the AFL and Melbourne Football Club and all the supporters. I don't know how you've done it but I applaud you sticking through thick and thin mate, would be a very tough time

quinny88

I have a good mate that's part of the Melbourne cheer squad and he went to school with Nath Jones so catches up with him regularly and apparently he was saying that he would love the chance to be captain but there are others the club are keen on that include Viney and Watts.

Now I know it's early days and Roos will probably make an executive decision after he sees the leaders throughout the NAB challenge, but when my mate told me that I couldn't help but cringe!

If Melbourne give the captaincy to Jack Watts they may as well board the place up! He holds none of the qualities that you would want from a guy leading your football club and that would be a horrendous call by the club.

Equally as bad would be giving into Jack Viney. The kid is a star dont get me wrong and he already has great leadership qualities, but surely after putting the burden on Trengove at such a young age, they won't go down that path again. Just let the kid play and he will no doubt become a captain when he's matured and ready.

My obvious choices were Jones or Frawley. I'm told Frawley is a quietly spoken guy and doesn't say much at the club so surely the obvious choice.. The ONLY choice is to give it to Jones.

Vinny

Jones or Grimes for skipper I think.

Keep the faith Dees supporters, it'll get better.

Purple 77

Quote from: quinny88 on January 22, 2014, 01:06:16 AM
My obvious choices were Jones or Frawley. I'm told Frawley is a quietly spoken guy and doesn't say much at the club so surely the obvious choice.. The ONLY choice is to give it to Jones.

That's is what I have heard about Garland, but over the last 2-3 years I've seen those little, fun videos each club does, and the Melbourne ones depict Frawley to be the chatty, really annoying guy lol.

You are right about Watts and Viney, I cringed myself. Honestly, Watts?! Gotta be kidding me. He has to get a contested disposal first lol

_wato

Quote from: vinny on January 22, 2014, 01:18:18 AM
Jones or Grimes for skipper I think.

Keep the faith Dees supporters, it'll get better.

Can't agree more with you Vin!