Who is going to finish 4th?!? x-post from Front Bar

Started by LaHug, August 11, 2013, 11:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ossie85

Quote from: Rusty00 on August 26, 2013, 11:08:21 AM
Quote from: ossie85 on August 26, 2013, 10:55:01 AM

I also think that Collingwood have a better chance of beating Geelong/Fremantle (likely 2nd and 3rd) in week 2 finals if need be, rather than Hawks/Sydney

6th has way more upside than 5th IMO

Of course, not taking anything for granted. Port have already beaten Collingwood once this year
You guys did beat Sydney fairly convincingly a few weeks ago. I would've thought you'd like your chances against Sydney in Sydney as opposed to Freo in Perth?

Can't speak for all Pie fans, but I was at the last Swans-Pies final in Sydney, and it wasn't pleasant watching! Pies have a decent record over in Perth really, and think the Pies wealth of experience in finals is a huge plus.

Ziplock

Quote from: ossie85 on August 26, 2013, 11:19:57 AM
Quote from: Rusty00 on August 26, 2013, 11:08:21 AM
Quote from: ossie85 on August 26, 2013, 10:55:01 AM

I also think that Collingwood have a better chance of beating Geelong/Fremantle (likely 2nd and 3rd) in week 2 finals if need be, rather than Hawks/Sydney

6th has way more upside than 5th IMO

Of course, not taking anything for granted. Port have already beaten Collingwood once this year
You guys did beat Sydney fairly convincingly a few weeks ago. I would've thought you'd like your chances against Sydney in Sydney as opposed to Freo in Perth?

Can't speak for all Pie fans, but I was at the last Swans-Pies final in Sydney, and it wasn't pleasant watching! Pies have a decent record over in Perth really, and think the Pies wealth of experience in finals is a huge plus.

I thought it was pretty pleasant... apart from the pies supporters leaving like a bit of the way through the 4th, that was a poor showing.

Mailman the 2nd

I think with half the Swans team in hospital it would be a much closer match between them and the Pies

Rusty00

Pies were also mentally drained going into the match after the whole John McCarthy incident. Would be a much closer battle this time around.

Rusty00

I can't find the discussion about Finals locations for the first round so I'll post it here as this is the thread I thought it was in  :P

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/afls-fixturing-boss-simon-lethlean-says-geelong-final-at-simonds-stadium/story-fni5f6yf-1226706291600

Geelong still a chance to host first final at Simmonds Stadium. Would be a massive advantage for them and in the last 5-6 weeks they have comprehensively beaten their potential final's opponents, Freo and Sydney at the ground.

I'm sure both Freo in particular would prefer the game at Eithad. I don't believe they've lost at Eithad under Ross Lyon.

LaHug

Quote from: Rusty00 on August 29, 2013, 11:41:49 AM
I can't find the discussion about Finals locations for the first round so I'll post it here as this is the thread I thought it was in  :P

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/afls-fixturing-boss-simon-lethlean-says-geelong-final-at-simonds-stadium/story-fni5f6yf-1226706291600

Geelong still a chance to host first final at Simmonds Stadium. Would be a massive advantage for them and in the last 5-6 weeks they have comprehensively beaten their potential final's opponents, Freo and Sydney at the ground.

I'm sure both Freo in particular would prefer the game at Eithad. I don't believe they've lost at Eithad under Ross Lyon.
Good read! I'd say that biggest thing I got from this article though is that the AFL almost have to have an Etihad game...

"There are ramifications if we don't (have a final at Etihad) in terms of extra matches at Etihad in the following season. We're required to play a final here (at Etihad) if there are more than two finals in Melbourne in week one or two."

Good to hear that it probably won't be Richmond! You'd think it couldn't be Richmond, Collingwood, or Hawthorn at Etihad due to crowd numbers. Very difficult for the AFL...

Rusty00

Quote from: LaHug on August 29, 2013, 05:16:05 PM
Quote from: Rusty00 on August 29, 2013, 11:41:49 AM

Good read! I'd say that biggest thing I got from this article though is that the AFL almost have to have an Etihad game...

"There are ramifications if we don't (have a final at Etihad) in terms of extra matches at Etihad in the following season. We're required to play a final here (at Etihad) if there are more than two finals in Melbourne in week one or two."

Good to hear that it probably won't be Richmond! You'd think it couldn't be Richmond, Collingwood, or Hawthorn at Etihad due to crowd numbers. Very difficult for the AFL...
Yeah I knew there used to be a requirement to have one of the finals at Eithad but I wasn't sure if that was still applicable.

I'd be surprised if the Geelong v Fremantle game is not played at Eithad (providing that match-up eventuates of course).

BB67th

Yeah I am wondering why there is this talk of the game being played in Geelong when the AFL is contractually bound to play the game at Etihad?

ossie85

Quote from: BB67th on August 29, 2013, 07:23:42 PM
Yeah I am wondering why there is this talk of the game being played in Geelong when the AFL is contractually bound to play the game at Etihad?

Reckon pies v port at etihad. Cats v Dockers in geelong

PowerBug

They won't play two away from the G. Either of those is a possibility, Freo are getting ripped off if they have to play in Geelong.
Leader of the King Karl Amon fan club
Coach of WXV side Rio De Janeiro Jaguars
2023 SC: Rank 126

BB67th

Quote from: ossie85 on August 29, 2013, 07:35:13 PM
Quote from: BB67th on August 29, 2013, 07:23:42 PM

Reckon pies v port at etihad. Cats v Dockers in geelong
Find it very hard to believe that the AFL would take the Pies away from the G. Worth too much money.