Main Menu

Harry O'brian

Started by blue, July 05, 2013, 07:20:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ossie85

Quote from: PowerBug on July 25, 2013, 07:39:26 PM
Harry O'Brien only plays matches Collingwood will win, otherwise he will be too mentally distraught if he plays in a losing team.

That's extremely poor powerbug. Knowing people who suffered depression, I'm offended

My Chumps

Quote from: ossie85 on July 25, 2013, 07:58:16 PM
Quote from: PowerBug on July 25, 2013, 07:39:26 PM
Harry O'Brien only plays matches Collingwood will win, otherwise he will be too mentally distraught if he plays in a losing team.

That's extremely poor powerbug. Knowing people who suffered depression, I'm extremely offended

PowerBug

He is a media whore, that's the problem. He thinks that he is that little bit better than everyone else, it was not a dig at everyone which has/had depression. You yourself called him arrogant in the first reply in this thread.
Leader of the King Karl Amon fan club
Coach of WXV side Rio De Janeiro Jaguars
2023 SC: Rank 126

ossie85

I did, and I still think he is. But be careful when making light of mental disease

PowerBug

Sorry, should've had a note at the bottom epxlaining this was solely a dig at O'Brien. :)
Leader of the King Karl Amon fan club
Coach of WXV side Rio De Janeiro Jaguars
2023 SC: Rank 126

Cruiseon

Still think the comment is inappropriate.

Harry has a brain and views on life. Such people should be celebrated instead of critised which should be reserved for the mindless dribble most players are programmed to say. Superstars who are awesome on the field are tediously dull off it (yes Buddy, Gazza, Trav, Stevie J, Juddy,  et al, I'm talking about you).

There are so few interesting and smart AFL over the years that they stick out like beacons, for me the likes of Harry, Robert Murphy, Luke Ball, Adam Goodes, Joel Bowden, Danny Southern, Rupet Betherus all had good brains and a different way of thinking about life. There are plenty more but these spring to mind.

This list refers to smart rather than interesting but worth a look.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/afl-players-often-get-labelled-meatheads-who-can-only-kick-a-footy-but-who-is-the-smartest-player-at-your-club/story-e6frf9jf-1226631009640

Ziplock

Yeah, I don't think afl player's should be criticised for highlighting social issues that aren't necessarily football related. When it comes down to it, there's a flower ton of things more important than football, and as elite athletes AFL players provide role models for a lot of australia and are subsequently respected.

Why they might be talking about these issues can be speculated on, but it doesn't detract from the issues themselves that they raise.