have much money in the bank at beginning of rd 1?

Started by ynot1985, March 01, 2010, 04:29:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ynot1985

how much do you normally leave in the bank to start off with at the start of the season?

im not sure if i should make the best team i can atm or leave some cash for upgrades later on...

i have 12.9k in the bank atm....is that too low?

ossie85

Spend it all, it's not like it is going to earn interest :)

Bob the builder

Spend as much as you need to get a side you like... Cash cows make the money for you as the season unfolds... It's just a matter of picking the right ones????

Fletch74

I agree with ossie!

Money sitting in the bank is not going to rise in value like a Cash Cow could... Its a waste...

Resch

You might want to keep a little for an emergency sideways trade post round 2.  Wouldn't be more than $50k though.

Select a team you like and see what is left.  Not something I am worrying about.

West Coast Fanatics

Not too important. You get your most money from cash cows, like bob the builder said

Prospector_1

I know about sum1 who spent exactly the cap for 3 years running!

And they're damn good in my opinion.

Can you do it?

hawk_88

It totally depends. The rule of thumb is spend as much as you can, as everyone has clearly stated.

There are some instances where keeping some money in the bank is a viable tactic, however it is a risky one. Generally when one keeps money in the bank they are taking advantage of the 3 round buffer before the season begins and hoping a certain player will drop in value (generally a high premium player) and will use a cash cow to supplement the money in the bank.

The upside to this is there is generally a straight swap for a rookie who rushes to a high mid + the saved cash to a more consistent premium player. So only one trade is necessary and you don't have to find a new rookie to take a punt on after a few rounds (which can be difficult).

However, this plan relies on a rookie bolting it and a premium player getting off to a slow start (generally). A massive risk.

The short of it is only leave money in the bank if you have a specific plan, and even then, make sure you have researched the details of the plan. It is a massive risk though. I know a few people who have tried it and when it works it really works, however, it fails more than it works.

Prospector_1

Brilliant post! Thanks Hawk_88.

That's one of them rules you just don't find in the book!

brownmans muffins

Quote from: Prospector_1 on March 02, 2010, 04:10:29 PM
Brilliant post! Thanks Hawk_88.

That's one of them rules you just don't find in the book!

well put hawk; great clarity
i've generally kept a couple hundred k leftover for the cheeky 1-trade early upgrade & it seems to have worked

that being said, it's definitely good to go for the max number of keepers from day dot

one other move the extra cash could be useful for is any pre week 3 adjustments people might want to make - whether it's shelving a slow-starting premium, an injury-forced trade, or changing around the rookie mix (e.g. 'm not taking morabito but if he goes nuts it'd be nice to trade a $100k rookie tht turned out crap)

hawk_88

I should probably add that it is a good year for this tactic if you know what you are doing. There is a lot of midfield rookie talent and a quite a few premiums that have had slow, short or injury interrupted preseasons that might start the season slowly. If you are interested, look at the Cats' list (there are others but it is a good place to start).