Am I Captain Crazy?

Started by Memphistopheles, April 03, 2013, 02:44:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Memphistopheles

So after some consideration I'm thinking of captaining Brad Ebert this weekend.

Is this a totally crazy idea? Interested to hear others opinions. Also please don't trade him in after reading this as he's my unique mid :P

Reasons for:

Port plays GWS.
It's the McCarthy tribute match.
It's Ebert's 100th game.
He's going to be so inspired it's not funny.
Swan only scored 109 and 105 v Carlton last season.

Reasons against:

I have Swan.
Ebert's not Swan
Port lost to GWS last year.

KoopKicka

ONce Cassisi is back Ebert will never get tagged with Boak and Cassisi in front of him, but it was good to see he could take a tag on the weekend. :)

Im considering it too, ddunno whether my cajones are big enough...

powersuperkents

Quote from: Memphistopheles on April 03, 2013, 02:44:34 PM
So after some consideration I'm thinking of captaining Brad Ebert this weekend.

Is this a totally crazy idea? Interested to hear others opinions. Also please don't trade him in after reading this as he's my unique mid :P

Reasons for:

Port plays GWS.
It's the McCarthy tribute match.
It's Ebert's 100th game.
He's going to be so inspired it's not funny.
Swan only scored 109 and 105 v Carlton last season.

Reasons against:

I have Swan.
Ebert's not Swan
Port lost to GWS last year.
If you want to take the risk sure ;), a captain choice doesn't have to be logical you just have to truly have faith that the player will rack up :)

I personally wouldn't, every time I've taken the risk it has flowered me over, like captaining Rocky last year just because he was my favourite in the team... he scored 70 something  :-\

Ricochet

Do you have Ablett?

GAJ v Swans
2012: 152
2011: 23 (subbed off at the start of Q2)
2010: 167, 127
2009: 141
2008: 150, 126

average of 144 unsubbed in the last 5 years

powersuperkents

Quote from: Ricochet on April 03, 2013, 03:08:49 PM
Do you have Ablett?

GAJ v Swans
2012: 152
2011: 23 (subbed off at the start of Q2)
2010: 167, 127
2009: 141
2008: 150, 126

average of 144 unsubbed in the last 5 years
shower man, I was going to go Swan but after seeing that I'm going to go Ablett without hesitation ;)

Toga

Yeah he would be tempting to go with but I think Mr Ablett has to be your captain this week.. Has a super record against the Swannies, gotta be close to the top scorer this week imo!

Windigo

Gotta go GAJ.

One thing I don't like playing around with is picking dodgy captains. Goddard & Redden are two examples.  ::)

Memphistopheles

I don't have Ablett at this stage.

And I won't get him in this week. I might do next week depending on how much he guns it and how JPK and Danger go.

So the decision is Ebert or Swan for me.

Thoughts?

Ricochet

Quote from: Memphistopheles on April 03, 2013, 03:48:42 PM

And I won't get him in this week. I might do next week depending on how much he guns it and how JPK and Danger go.

Thoughts?
How did you go last week mate?
If you did well I would say take the risky option with Ebert because it could put you further ahead
If you struggled go with the safe option of Swan because he will still pump out a 100+ score and most people will either have him or Ablett as captain

Toga

Thoughts?

In that case Ebert might be worth a look :o

But Swan's last 6 vs Carlton: 105, 109, 101, 116, 114, 140...

So he's still a reasonably safe option... But Ebert could well go boom as you've said!

Memphistopheles

Quote from: Ricochet on April 03, 2013, 03:51:25 PM

Thoughts?
How did you go last week mate?
If you did well I would say take the risky option with Ebert because it could put you further ahead
If you struggled go with the safe option of Swan because he will still pump out a 100+ score and most people will either have him or Ablett as captain

Not good. Ebert was probably my only real highlight if you exclude popular players.

I'm definitely considering Ebert now. Carrots likely to go to Pendles not Swan but still he hasn't carved up the Blues in his last 5 against them going off Toga's scores.

I can't see why he won't go 129 or better again. Only problem is he hasn't has a history of scoring massive previously though last year was his breakout year.

He did score 55 in the last quarter against Melbourne which shows his fitness is right up there with the best.

Adamant

Don't do it Memph. Ebert's ceiling is too low to risk him as captain. At absolute best, he'll score about 135, which is a great score, but not enough IMO to balance out the risk.

Swanny is an extremely safe 110+, but is also very likely to go 130+. Stick with him.