Main Menu

What changed?

Started by MTTY, April 07, 2013, 10:15:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MTTY

What changed?

Its amazing how music can describe and relate to an entire situation, for which its purpose was never meant. It can be related and manipulated, by an individual, to suit what they are currently going through and, in a way, help them through it.

Its Illy's cover of Wonderwall (originally performed by Oasis), that could categorize the feelings of Demons supporters at this time in present, along with how we see the club.

And so, I ask the question what went wrong?

What went wrong, after our 2006 finals appearance, then again in our 2011, Round 19 loss to Geelong?

"And we came such a long way"

The 2006 finals loss to Fremantle spelt the end of Melbourne, of which has never been the same since. Dean Bailey had taken us back to what seemed like that level, with nine and a half wins. Rebuilding and taking a team without any obvious stars remarkably far, with several high quality wins.

"built a flame from a flicker"

The only problem Melbourne fans had, with Bailey, was the way in which he moved on our senior players, which effectively left us leaderless with youth.

"saw generations shift, rebuilt it and thought"

Then along came Mark Neeld, "the saviour", of whom has taken the majority of the blame for his unique ideas and recruiting strategy, in order to regain leadership, separate youth and rebuild a rebuild. There was too much youth to be competitive.

"I get it but to me theres a difference between us doing it different and abusing tradition"

"stood back to claim younguns left the framework in cinders"

Instead of blaming, the rightful at fault, the players and those responsible for making the players that way. Their training may of been doing the talking, but their culture from the tanking era (lead by Connolly) screwed up the system, with few only failing to conform to this attitude that had formed within the club. Players like Jack Viney, Jeremy Howe and Nathan Jones broke through this conformity.

"their words say they're down for the scene, their act doesn't"

"i look at 'em like, where the f*** did the pride go"

"couple tall poppies broke glass ceilings for us all"

People blame Neeld for "letting" Rivers, Morton, Gysberts, Martin and Moloney go, they chose to go (Moloney, Rivers, Martin) or were not physically needed at the club (Gysberts and Morton). Why people still do not understand that, and continue to blame Neeld is beyond me.

"young mcs gave up and left the scene behind"

Then there's Tom Scully, the guy that left for money. A number 1 draft pick that rose so much in his first year, he assumed he could go to a club and performed as he had a Melbourne without any attention from taggers, or in fact break the tags and become Ablett.

"the result of their rise"

And now....The games are simply floggings, with no more than few players performing, as was seen last night.

"bright lights in the lost days"

And now...Too many players show up for pay checks, rather than to fulfill their dreams; their dreams are gone.

"its cool getting paid, but its always been about more//
been about dreams hope y'all living out yours"

And now... The media attacks the Melbourne Football club.

And now...

"probably sound scorned when i talk about the scene//
only brought it up cause it was once important to me//
but it ain't what it was, let it be what it be//
and we'll keep moving on, where it ends we'll see"

Melbourne supporters have waited too long, been promised too much, of which Mark Neeld will wrongfully cop and be the victim of. The end is near, memberships will fall, supporters will change just as the culture of Melbourne FC has.

"By now you should've somehow//
Realized what you gotta do//
I don't believe that anybody//
Feels the way I do about you now//

Backbeat the word was on the street//
That the fire in your heart is out//
I'm sure you've heard it all before//
But you never really had a doubt//
I don't believe that anybody feels//
The way I do about you now// "

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rszaLZcvOGg

Cicjose