The Sub 540k MIDs

Started by essendon2, March 17, 2013, 05:03:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

essendon2

Now... who the flower do we pick? There are about 10 options here that are all viable, but I seriously don't know who's going to average the most...... a lot of our MIDs it's the M4-5 positions that are empty and we only have 540k or less to spend - I know it's annoying me.. so here's the list:

Hopefully this helps with some of your selections:

Jack Redden:
Avg last year: 103.09
Games Played: 22
Scores over 100: 13
Redden is another young jet that is very consistent and usually scores between 110-120! Brisbane have a dream start and Redden has a very nice record against his first 5 opponents, however, he does usually start the season slowly. I still think he'll be an absolute gun this season.
Predicted average: 108

Joel Selwood:
Avg last year: 103.05
Games Played: 20
Scores over 100: 14
He's a durable, young, talented star that'll continue to improve (scary thought), but I don't think he'll ever become a DT Uber premium, well not this year anyway.
Predicted average: 106

Andrew Swallow:
Avg last year: 102.6
Games Played: 22 (Hasn't missed a game for the past 5 seasons)
Scores over 100: 8
Scores between 90-99: 9
Swallow has been on the brink of breaking out for the past few seasons! A lot of coaches thought last year was his year, however, he did carry a heavy load at NM and wasn't able to reach Uber heights. This year, NM are on a rise, and with the development of Ziebell, Harper, Anthony and Cunnington, Swallow will be able to break loose!
Predicted average: 111

Patrick Dangerfield:
Avg last year: 101.91
Scores over 100: 11
Dangerfield took his game to a whole new level in 2012, increasing his 2011 average by over 30 ppg. He started the season off slowly, however, finished the year with 7 x 100 and a purple patch average of over 120. He's young, and as Sloane said only just last week, "he's looking even better this pre-season." It's seriously a scary thought. He's a good chance for the Brownlow, however, I think he will receive the Number #1 tag this year; I'm sure he'll be able to break it though!
Predicted Average: 111

Josh P. Kennedy:
Avg last year: 101.68
Games Played: 22 (Hasn't missed a game for the past 3 seasons)
Josh P. Kennedy was the favourite for the Brownlow after the first 5 rounds last year and he didn't slow down too much! He finished season 2012 like a house on fire, averaging 117 in his last 7 games (including finals), with massive scores against Collingwood (153), Hawthorn (149), Fremantle (136) and Adelaide (133). His K:H ratio is quite low, so if he just kicks an extra 5 times per game, his average has increased dramatically already! Did I mention Sydney's dream start?  :P I like the look of him, and he looks really good at M5
Predicted Average: 108 (Average of 115+ after first 5 rounds)

Marc Murphy:
Avg last year: 101.31
Avg (excluding injuries/sub affected games): 106.4
Games Played: 16
There is no doubt Murphy is a gun; he's just been announced Captain of Carlton FC and is only 25 years of age. Back in 2011, he averaged 111 and was regarded as the next Dane Swan, however, injury struck last year and did affect his entire season. One area of his game that needs improving, is his ability to break a tag. I see Murphy improving his average, but not by too much.
Predicted average: 107

Brad Ebert:
Avg last year: 99.4
Scores over 100: 9
Brad Ebert was the biggest improver of 2012 and my hat goes off to anyone that started the season with him! He started last year with an average of 110 after the first 5 rounds. Obviously, his average fell with Port Adelaide's results not exactly advantaging him. Port Adelaide have an abundance of DT relevant players this year and not many coaches are remembering Ebert. With Port on the rise, Ebert will surely rise with them..
Predicted average: 104

Kieran Jack:
Avg last year: 98.18
Scores over 100: 9
Kieren Jack has had a somewhat rollercoaster average over the past 4 years, however, last year he flourished under a Premiership team in Sydney FC. He's a real darkhorse that is usually overlooked because of the likes of JPK and ROK, however, this young gun is fresh and ready to take his game to another level in 2013! He starts the year off playing GWS and Gold Coast, who he scored 115, 127 and 125 against last season, respectively. Get ready for the Jack express  8)
Predicted average: 103 (Average of 110+ after the first 5 rounds)

Scott Selwood:
Avg last year: 97.73
Scores over 100: 10
Scooter too started 2012 like a house on fire averaging over 110 after the first 7 rounds due to his inside MID role. However, he quickly resorted back to his tagging role (why does he have to be so good at it), and subsequently, his average dropped. Now, with the inclusion of Wellingham, the improvement of Gaff and Shuey, this should free up Selwood and ultimately result in a rise of average. He has a lovely ceiling too, of 150 (GWS) & 144 (Port). If he is to follow his natural progression, he'll certainly average 105+
Predicted average: 107

Artax

Colliwobblers

great write up mate, my advice pick the 4 best midfielders first. then the rest of your team.

and if this lot are who you are deciding on for M5 then i am envious that'll be a great team.

some great names there Danger over JSelwood  for my vote kennedy and murphy and kennedy more SC players but thenso is joel i guess, and i guess thats why they are all that bit cheaper her in DT but all are capable of getting more of it and lifting their DT averages a bit.

think Danger is the clear head and shoulders above candidate here tho for DT.

Ricochet

Keeping faith in Murphy atm, will bounce back next week

essendon2

Predicted averages seem like a fair estimate? ???

Toga

Nice write-up e2, given you a cheer for your work.

I still can't decide whether to go Stants/one of these blokes (Kennedy, Murphy and Danger are the frontrunners outta this pack imo) at M5, or to start Buddy instead of Patton up forwards :-[

Such a difficult decision!

essendon2

Quote from: Toga on March 18, 2013, 11:15:18 AM
Nice write-up e2, given you a cheer for your work.

I still can't decide whether to go Stants/one of these blokes (Kennedy, Murphy and Danger are the frontrunners outta this pack imo) at M5, or to start Buddy instead of Patton up forwards :-[

Such a difficult decision!
I seriously can't decide between JPK, Swallow and Danger :-\

pommyadam

i'm avoiding Scooter due to that dreded tag, that he seems to do quite a bit
or at least until Wellingham returns, but even then  :-\

essendon2

Swan, Pendles and JPK are locked. I now have to pick just one more of these,
it's out of Jack and Danger and Swallow!

If I pick Danger/Swallow, I have to get Cotchin/Watson
whereas if I pick Jack, I can get Boyd/Beams

powersuperkents

I think you are wrong about Swallow and Dangerfield. They could potentially go 110+ but I don't think they will and I don't think they will post higher averages then Redden, Selwood & Murphy

I think your wrong about JPK I'd have him posted at 96-104 (102-104 if he has a 'stellar' season)

The rest I think may be around the right area, don't know too much about JAck but I think he will still average the same as last season

Although Scott Selwood is a pain in the arse and I think he will only average in the high 90's because West Coast and Sydney have similar teams (they are star teams rather than a team of stars (not what you want from a player when selecting them for your dreamteam) I wouldn't be surprised if he averaged 107+. I think he has the potential easily, they all do the fact is the likeliness of them reaching it... I think all the unusual dt players eg. Jack, JPK, Swallow, Dangerfield, Ebert will not score as highly as you stated and that these are just players who have been hyped up because people want to potentially say "I discovered him". Everyone out there the safe bet out of these players (with logical thought which isn't emotionally based) are Murphy, Jelwood and Redden...

Redden 104-116
Murphy 104-116
Jelwood 103-109
Swallow 96-112
Dangerfield 96-112
Selwood 96-109
JPK 96-104
Ebert 96-104
Jack 96-101

Those averages are just my humble opinion and they are just for your consideration :), remember that most of these players are not proven and people have continued to rant about them and produce non sense averages that don't display the potential downside. Yes I think they could average 100+ or even 110+ but I think they could also average sub 100. If you want the best possible choice why not go with a proven player??? Murphy, Jelwood, Redden... You know your going to finish with a 100+ average so unless you have a strategy, want a POD or have room in your midfield for a potential player who averages in the 90's why wouldn't you just select one of those 3...