Gary Ablett

Started by mmurphy3, March 05, 2013, 01:21:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ziplock

Quote from: Colliwobblers on March 07, 2013, 08:52:39 PM
Quote from: ///////////////////////// on March 05, 2013, 10:16:13 PM
Toby's first year was better than Beams 2nd year. Toby's 2nd year will be better than Beams 4th and 5th years.

Barlow anyone?

Plus While Greene had a great season and broke all sorts of records, could he have averaged so much playing in the pies midfield I wonder?

add to that Beams first 2 and a half seasons were in the fwd line not the midfield.

But you pick Greene, I'll take Beams ;)

you mean when barlow was a mature aged recruit, who then suffered a horrific season ending injury?

realllllly bad comparison.

Colliwobblers

fair point the injury set him back but my point was not about the injury or him not being a great player.

it was about making decisions on players after ONLY 1 SEASON.

no offence was intended but one year ( Greene) is not very much to go by when talking about players establishing themselves as elite.

I don't think the injury will prevent Barlow from reaching his best potential, just set him back a couple of seasons.

Ziplock

greene is a bit of uncharted territory.

I dont think any 18 year old has ever averaged close to what he has in their debut year.

A few mature aged recruits have, but mature agers have far less room for improvement.

Selwood is probably the closest example off the top of my head...

averaged 85 in his debut year, 91 in his second year, a 6 ppg increase

a similar increase from green would put his average on like 103...

that being said, still not keeper status :P

Colliwobblers

no you are right,

1. Barlow was a shockling poor comparison - embarrassed.  :-[

2. Greene is awesome broke almost every record in the book for a first year player.

BUT

1. I don't think he or anyone else could have achieved it in a non-expansion club.

2. I don't think he is Beams just yet ;)