The Point Of Difference

Started by shorty3264, February 12, 2013, 03:44:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shorty3264

In a day and age where SuperCoach is so popular, with 370,000 taking part in 2012, now with the new draft game and other extra features, this number is sure to surpass the 400,000 mark. In turn the game has now become well and truly part of the media, with the NAB Cup  just around the corner we are sure to have several articles in a range of papers, websites and broadcasters telling us who the bargain buys are, the superstars, who’s tearing up the training track, who’s out of touch.

The point is, if you look hard enough it’s not at all hard for anyone to select quite a solid side for 2013. There are two things that separate the good coaches from the elite, trades and football nous, with six extra trades up our sleeve, the emphasis of this football nous is at a premium. Many will be wondering what I mean when I say ‘football nous, that’s what this articles all about.

Now that SuperCoach has officially begun, as we pick our first team which is sure to change many times over the next month and a half. When we look to pick the best possible side, not only must we look at the best options out there, but the most unique, to give your side that point of difference. Ever recall making your league finals and looking at your opponent’s squad only to see he has 16 of your players and it virtually comes down to a 6 v 6 battle? The POD players will give you the edge.

Many coaches will adopt the ‘Guns and Rookies’ strategy in 2013, a proven successful tactic. Which will see coaches cram as many premiums into their 22 and surround them with the best youngsters, good in theory. But this is how the occurrence of near identical teams begins, with this strategy we will see the likes of Superstars Goddard, Gibbs, Ablett, Swan, Cotchin, Pendlebury, Murphy, Cox, Rockliff and Franklin in the majority of sides surrounded by youngsters Pittard, Terlich, Docherty, Viney, Crouch, O’Meara and Wines. Quite simply having a side full of the best picks yet most popular, doesn’t give us a great advantage, ever seen the animated movie “The Incredibles”? To quote Syndrome ‘When everyone’s super...no one will be” sums it up very well.

In 2013, I will be tweaking my strategy slightly, in seek of gaining a point of difference over my opponents, hence where this ‘football nous’ comes into play. For many coaches I’m about to mention a word that has been lost from there vocabulary â€" mid-pricer. Often the argument is ‘Gun and Rookies’ vs. ‘Mid-pricers’ the answer is a healthy mix. Now with 30 trades in 2013 as well as no knew clubs joining the competition giving us a plethora of cheap youngsters, it’s even more feasible to take a few more risks on mid-priced players in order to find what I call ‘next generation premiums’. Finding 2013’s Patrick Dangerfield, Steele Sidebottom, Dayne Beams, Ivan Maric, Harley Bennell, Scott Selwood, Toby Greene and Dayne Zorko is what could separate your side from the rest; basically we are looking for a big break out player. This tactic takes guts, but potentially you could gain a premium player for around 400-450K and worst case scenario the six extra trades allows some flexibility.

How do we find these players you say? There is no real system but many key indicators you must look for â€" generally speaking a player entering their fourth or fifth season, high draft pick, knew opportunity and outstanding pre-season are all signs a player is about to have a break out year. Looking towards season 2013 the players who fit this mould and are primed to break out this year are the likes of Daniel Hannebery, Jack Ziebell, David Swallow, Jack Grimes, Dyson Heppell, Allen Christensen and Dustin Martin are all ready to make an impact on the AFL.

As far as premiums go there are always the ever popular picks, afore mentioned, i.e. Ablett, Pendlebury etc. Obviously they are the popular picks for a reason but it’s always handy to have a couple of unique premiums especially in the midfield. Potentially in 2013 the likes of Jobe Watson, Kieren Jack, Luke Shuey and Brett Deledio will all add a POD to your side yet still average 110+. For example, starting with Watson, Jack and Deledio as opposed to Swan, Pendlebury and Cotchin will give you approximately the same scoring output yet a much higher value of points given the uniqueness of these POD premiums. For a more in depth look at these POD players, you might like to check out my article ‘Breakout contenders’.

So when you sit down to alter your SuperCoach side as we countdown to round one, look for something different, players that will give you the edge over your rivals. That point of difference could be the all important selection that takes your side to glory.

http://www.supercoachhq.com/18/post/2013/02/the-point-of-difference.html

Nige

Wow shorty, very good article. Nice work!  :D

Jroo

I saw this the other day. Nice work Shorty!
I have JPK as a POD and hoping Dusty can break out.

tom_scully

Quote from: shorty3264 on February 12, 2013, 03:44:34 PM
Potentially in 2013 the likes of Jobe Watson, Kieren Jack, Luke Shuey and Brett Deledio will all add a POD to your side yet still average 110+. For example, starting with Watson, Jack and Deledio as opposed to Swan, Pendlebury and Cotchin will give you approximately the same scoring output yet a much higher value of points given the uniqueness of these POD premiums.

At best you're going to break even. Chances are your POD is going to be having less points per week than your opponents that have the uber-prems.

The Mongoose

Fantastic write-up, Shorty. The Mongoose firmly believes in the power of a well chosen mid pricer, however The Mongoose has also never won the 50k.

Quote from: tom_scully on February 12, 2013, 06:20:13 PM
Quote from: shorty3264 on February 12, 2013, 03:44:34 PM
Potentially in 2013 the likes of Jobe Watson, Kieren Jack, Luke Shuey and Brett Deledio will all add a POD to your side yet still average 110+. For example, starting with Watson, Jack and Deledio as opposed to Swan, Pendlebury and Cotchin will give you approximately the same scoring output yet a much higher value of points given the uniqueness of these POD premiums.

At best you're going to break even. Chances are your POD is going to be having less points per week than your opponents that have the uber-prems.

Ah, but the flip side to this again is that you have some extra cash to spend where your opponent does not, giving you a higher yield elsewhere. Really just depends on where YOU think the value lies.

shorty3264

Cheers Nigey and JROO :)

like mongoose said, bit of extra coin and its just something worth thinking about, The points are much more valuable as not as many sides have those players and are genuine 115+ scorers.