Main Menu

Leuey + 3 Rookies

Started by hawkers65, January 25, 2013, 01:39:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hawkers65

I was wondering if anyone was considering or think that having the Leuey + 3 Rookie combo in the rucks is a good idea. The reason why i'm trial this strategy is because of the wide range of cheap rucks that will push for games in 2013. The first 2 options are Grundy and Witts who IMO one will definitely get a game come Round 1 with the aging Jolly needing a spot. The second 2 options are Daw and Currie and Currie looks good for a debut in Round 1 playing as the second ruck to Goldy. Daw has been training predominately with the backmen this preseason and has played down back in their practice matches for reasonable success. So there is a good chance that both may get a gig come round 1. The other is Max Gawn, he had a minor setback with a hamstring injury around Christmas but IMO is a solid chance to get games at Melbourne this year. So IMO to go with Leuey you could have a choice between 4 cheap ruckmen for the other 3 spots left to fill in:

-Grundy/Witts
-Daw
-Currie
-Gawn

I'm currently running the Sandi/Leuey combo with Grundy and Rowe(DPP with Cox/Loophole) in my side and this is just one of a few left of square strategies i'm considering.

What are your thoughts on it??

TheAnt

Nope, won't play every game, won't score as prolificly as Smith or Giles and Gawn is too expensive for a ruckman who is developing and coming back from an ACL, you'll be missing out on a lot of points against everyone else.

Samm79

I think this is a risk/rewards scenario where the risks outweigh the potential reward. Unless there are injuries to Jolly or Goldy their JS is more threatened than other rookies. Petrie and Lynch will do the 2nd ruck duties.

This game is about choosing the right rookies, those who will increase in value quickly and JS is a must for this.

On the other hand if it comes off you will have an advantage over 300,000 teams! Good luck  ;)

Hawks_1976

Agree with other comments here. This strategy held up well with the two new franchises ( Smith & Giles ).

Best combo without question is : Premium, Berger ( Rookie, McBean/Rowe )

jimmytigs

did it last year dont think you can this year,grundy & witts are far from assured a game at any point with jolly/lynch backed up by hudson when jolly takes a break & a flat out no to gawn,jamar is #1 then they have dawes pederson who they recruited for a reason as well as spencer & maybe mitch clark in the ruck as well,they are choc loaded with viable ruckmen,nah i think you need 1 prem this year along with luey & maybe the 2 north guys,i think they are your best bet,just saw another headline "NICNAT EYEING RD 1"so guess even sinclair can come out of the equation

basil3134

Gawn back on LTI list so not even a consideration.
With lots of underpriced forwards and adequate cheap defenders, this has to be the year to  spend more on rucks than last year

Jay

No. Need a solid durable ruck along with Leuey

tor01doc

Listen to the J-man..after all he is an 'expert coach'.

Rock/ruck solid strategy is the 'Premoberger with 2 rooks please'.

SydneyRox

Quote from: Jayman on February 02, 2013, 01:38:25 PM
No. Need a solid durable ruck along with Leuey
+1 - cos he is right

Colliwobblers

sandi or Hmac or Maric + burger ( Daw + DPP rook)

Cox in FWD line

Thats me for DT

But For SC

ryder is in my fwd line and goldstein with burger in the ruck ( same rook scenario)

Ringo

This would be a very dangerous risk to take.  Whilst Berger may become a prem he is coming off a long injury break and Lions have said he is on a manged program so this would need an additional prem ruck.  If and I stress if Lions decide to rest him for a week as part of the managing every so often where does that leave you. (Lions have back up of Martin, Longer and Sam Michael so it is not as if it is not possible)

Sabretooth Tigers

Rarely read an article where everybody is basically correct. But the article ain't nearly finished . Yes there is risk in what you suggest but to level it out properly," what points do you regain " with the money saved on Leuey + 3 rookies , that you invest elsewhere  ???  JS weakened in one line (if it is) may strengthen another. Currently (today) have Sandy/Goldstein with (Witts+Curry) with Cox and Ryder in the forward line. Not concerned about DPP with last years new trade rule cover enough. Whatever you decide on all the very best of luck. Cheers.

fever

didnt read replies but that's a terrible idea. it was risky even with a gun like giles last year, this year there's nothing even close.

T Dog

Perhap Luey, Vardy, Gorringe, Rowe...not for me but worth a look  8)

tbagrocks

Quote from: T Dog on February 13, 2013, 11:55:38 PM
Perhap Luey, Vardy, Gorringe, Rowe...not for me but worth a look  8)
If Hmac is going to start slow and possibly used like Ottens for finals? Would Vardy be worth a go? Should be the lead for a few weeks perhaps? Before moving forward when Hmac does return ???