Shannon Byrnes

Started by quinny88, February 01, 2013, 09:17:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quinny88

I think the Nab cup is a good indicator for which kids have talent and look ready for AFL but it says very little about a seasoned player or the form they are in as they play at a far lower intensity than the season proper

Duck

Heck, I'm going for it, I need some uniques, and he shall be one. Fingers crossed that he will be better than Varcoe.

NFI Police

I think Shannon Byrnes has plenty of ability but he is a receiver...it just worries me the difference between the quality of ball he received in a star studded Geelong team compared to the parklands delivery he will get at Melboune. Dawes and Clark will provide a few crumbs, but small forwards in a low ranking side seem to struggle...

SydneyRox

Quote from: Duck on February 02, 2013, 09:00:44 PM
Heck, I'm going for it, I need some uniques, and he shall be one. Fingers crossed that he will be better than Varcoe.

come round 1 i dont think he will be to unique

kilbluff1985

Quote from: SydneyRox on February 03, 2013, 12:47:56 AM
Quote from: Duck on February 02, 2013, 09:00:44 PM

come round 1 i dont think he will be to unique

yeah agreed

Mykonos FC

Quote from: NFI Police on February 02, 2013, 11:41:54 PM
I think Shannon Byrnes has plenty of ability but he is a receiver...it just worries me the difference between the quality of ball he received in a star studded Geelong team compared to the parklands delivery he will get at Melboune. Dawes and Clark will provide a few crumbs, but small forwards in a low ranking side seem to struggle...
Too true +1, it would concern me if I were looking at picking Byrnes.

Jay

hmm this is a good point. But there arent too many other rookies to downgrade him too

quinny88

Some good points you make NFI but I think you'll find that there's a bit more to him than that in 2013. At Geelong he had no choice other than to be a receiver as the team had so many stars around the ball that he couldn't do much more than finish off a bit of their brilliance every now and then.
At Melbourne he goes straight to the top of the food chain. He will play in the middle as well as up forward and as I said earlier, the fact that he's been put in the leadership group after only being at the club for a couple of months, just shows that he must be leading by example on and off the track.
He was a fringe player his whole career and as now been given an opportunity late in his career to be a leader rather than a follower. I think he will thrive off that opportunity. He'd be crazy not to