Forward line structure

Started by Hawks_1976, March 01, 2013, 12:02:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawks_1976

Like most people, I am struggling to find decent fwd line rookies that may have reasonable job security. Names like Neade, Lee, Paparone and Lamb come to mind but all with limited job security. Anyone remember Relton Roberts?
The setback to Staker has further added to this issue.
I'm curious to what people are looking at for a fwd line structure?

At the moment I am considering something like this:

Franklin, Cox, Rockliff, Wright, Siposs, Harper ( Byrnes, Macaffer )

Other cheap fwds like Krakouer, Varcoe, Knights and Patton also under consideration.
I think what also offsets loading up on fwds is the amount of decent rookie defenders on offer.

Appreciate peoples thoughts on this.

Ad

I'm a DTer, but am employing a similar strategy...there are an abundance of mid rooks, a reasonable amount of back rooks and hardly any fwd ones, so I'm stacking my fwds.
Cox, Bartel, Zorko, Rockliff, Martin and one of Knights/Varcoe/Byrnes. Subs Patton & Macaffer. Bartel will become Stevie J and Knights and a rookie to Franklin round 7/8.

I don't see to many decent fwd rooks coming in throughout the season, so it makes perfect sense to me to stack the fwds then just focus on upgrading mids & backs where we will actually have a few decent rooks debuting during the season for us to downgrade to.

I'm surprised there has been so little talk of this particular strategy and equally surprised with the amount of teams who are stacking their mids with premo's when that's where most of the rooks with good JS are!

m1tch robo

Byrnes is a bit expensive for a bench spot. I'd maybe drop Siposs or Harper and start Byrnes. I'm sure there'll be at least 1 rookie fwd who will get early games.

T Dog

Interesting issue Hawks.

Perhaps you could have a look at mid or ruck DPP's to slot into your forward line..not as forward scorers but as early season ruck/mid scorers. Buy some time to bring in cheap forwards as the new season settles. Perhaps play Paperone , Rowe, Setant, Mckernan ...with a watch on players like  Simpson, Growden, Kerridge, Cam Richardson for example.

The other way to look at is spend the least possible on the F8 position eg. Sam Dwyer and just use this position as a swingman link and use the cash elsewhere. I will probably be doing this if blokes like Neade and Lee don't get a 3 round guernsey starting rd 1

hannebery2rohan

Quote from: Ad on March 01, 2013, 03:38:43 AM
I'm a DTer, but am employing a similar strategy...there are an abundance of mid rooks, a reasonable amount of back rooks and hardly any fwd ones, so I'm stacking my fwds.
Cox, Bartel, Zorko, Rockliff, Martin and one of Knights/Varcoe/Byrnes. Subs Patton & Macaffer. Bartel will become Stevie J and Knights and a rookie to Franklin round 7/8.

I don't see to many decent fwd rooks coming in throughout the season, so it makes perfect sense to me to stack the fwds then just focus on upgrading mids & backs where we will actually have a few decent rooks debuting during the season for us to downgrade to.

I'm surprised there has been so little talk of this particular strategy and equally surprised with the amount of teams who are stacking their mids with premo's when that's where most of the rooks with good JS are!

Why would you swap Bartel for Stevie J? Stevie J is only going to be missing for 1 week, if you were really keen on him just start with him on the bench for the first round and pocket the trade. The difference between Bartel and Stevie J is going to be negligible IMO.