How many Rookie backs will actually play early?

Started by tbagrocks, January 06, 2013, 05:00:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbagrocks

The strategy seems to be something like a 3/4 premo 4/5 rookie backline, but is that depth as strong as they say? Remember, for every rook you need another to come in and play to make an upgrade

There's not good choices for midpricers without risks, Otten, Watts and Russell I am monitoring, Bock is a no atm

Who exactelly will play early? Imo Colquhoun, Vlastuin, Thurlow will stuggle for early games, Sam Col is a skinny kid not even picked up in the nat draft (thankyou very much Adelaide you spuds, though I understand with our current half backs)

Brett Goodes, Staker who has to be in your forward line, Terlich, Pittard, Van Unen, Docherty, Leigh Osborne,

How many will actually play from Rounds 1-3 to be viable selections?

From a Crows bias perspective again :P Brown at 150k is to expensive unless he kills rounds 1 and 2, Rory Laird is the one to watch if he gets a go at all! Once upgraded and if he plays, get this kid in!

kilbluff1985

out of

Colquhoun, Vlastuin, Goodes, Osborne, Terlich, Staker, Pittard, Van Unen, Docherty, Thurlow, Stevenson

we only need like 5 of them to get named round one which is very likely

plus some other first round rookies like Plowman i not mentioned

i think we have enough to choose from to start 3 rookies i might start 4 if enough get named

Holz

Tbag you don't need a rookie to come up to replace them if your going 4 rook 4 premo that's 2 downgrades and 2 upgrades

Windigo

Everyone will pick the rookies that are named round one.  ;)

ronl

Too right, Windi, they will all be introduced to us in the fullness of time and there's not much we can do to speed it up.  Just leave enough breathing space in your salary cap in case of emergencies.

owenbond007

Im not a fan of a 4+ rookie backline atm. From my experiences in DT general the back rookes don't score that well. If you got 4 or 5 back rookies and say a bloke like goddard gets rubbed out for 2 most sides are going to be forced to play there 3rd or 4th choice rooke whereas a 3 rookie backline can play there 2nd choice rooke. This will definately put teams well behind the 8 ball.

Football Factory

Because there is a lack of decent forward rooks im not going to count Staker as a back rook. Gonna start with 2 backline rook starters any more is a risk imo.

owenbond007

Quote from: FOOTBALL FACTORY on January 06, 2013, 04:50:12 PM
Because there is a lack of decent forward rooks im not going to count Staker as a back rook. Gonna start with 2 backline rook starters any more is a risk imo.

I dont class staker as a rookie either I only class 1st year players as rookies. Looking at pure numbers stakers has only had one decent DT season without setting the world on fire, and looking at pittards numbers a ave of 56 (off the top of my head) even with a improvement i cant see these 2 featuring in my team with any confidence. I currently have my backs structured as:

4premos + mid-pricer + 3 rookies (Goodes + Docherty + Terlich)

And until I get a get look at the rookies from the NAB I cant determine who will make the cut.

tbagrocks

nab really means nothing to me, because it's only a practice I really only remember the crows games, well...

Sam Kerridge and Tom Lynch were stars in that nab series, both men went on to play only one, sub affected game!

Of course we are going to take the guys named Round one, my point is all these back rooks may not actually be named, putting our January efforts to the toilet

Becuase it's January I thought i'd get descussion going on those speculative rookies, btw Staker and Pittard are DT rookies :P

Football Factory

Quote from: owenbond007 on January 06, 2013, 05:27:53 PM
Quote from: FOOTBALL FACTORY on January 06, 2013, 04:50:12 PM

I dont class staker as a rookie either I only class 1st year players as rookies. Looking at pure numbers stakers has only had one decent DT season without setting the world on fire, and looking at pittards numbers a ave of 56 (off the top of my head) even with a improvement i cant see these 2 featuring in my team with any confidence. I currently have my backs structured as:

4premos + mid-pricer + 3 rookies (Goodes + Docherty + Terlich)

And until I get a get look at the rookies from the NAB I cant determine who will make the cut.
Staker is rookie priced .. If he doesnt have a good Nab and isnt named round 1 he wont be in my team  ;) but at the moment he looks alot better than the other rook forwards available especially with DPP considering i have Broughton in my backs

To be honest i hope you dont start with Pittard  8)

essendon2

Quote from: owenbond007 on January 06, 2013, 04:48:46 PM
Im not a fan of a 4+ rookie backline atm. From my experiences in DT general the back rookes don't score that well. If you got 4 or 5 back rookies and say a bloke like goddard gets rubbed out for 2 most sides are going to be forced to play there 3rd or 4th choice rooke whereas a 3 rookie backline can play there 2nd choice rooke. This will definately put teams well behind the 8 ball.
+1
hence why this year I'm starting 4 premiums in the back line

Mr.Craig

Plowman, Jaksch, Vlastuin, Osborne, Corr, Goodes, Clurey, Colledge, Colquhoun, Van Unen and Terlich are the rookies who appear to have the best opportunity of playing at some period during the year. Along with Pittard, Staker, Docherty, Stevenson, Heath and a few other longer shots we should be able to manage.

The forwards are up in the air - you'd imagine we'll be seeing a bit of Daniher and Menzel but how soon and for how long is unknown. Lee, Neade and Membrey have a chance of forcing their way into the seniors, they certainly won't be scoring Treloar/Zorko numbers though. Stringer and Mayes probably have the best chance of consistent early games and providing  reasonable bench cover but you'll pay for the privilege. Aside from that you've got longer shots like McDonough, Kennedy, Shaw, Paparone and Sumner. There's also questionable cheap options like Dick, Macaffer, Hitchcock, Kerridge and Rowe.

I think you'd want to limit the number of rookies in those positions to 2 if possible and 3 would be the max. Staker at F7 and a rookie at F8, with Pittard/Docherty/Goodes and Colquhoun/Vlastuin/Terlich/Van Unen holding down D6, D7 and D8 could be one of the safer strategies.