Player profiles : Danny Stanley <3

Started by DT-SC, September 11, 2012, 07:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colliwobblers

not sure azza i think Whatlex is the guy to ask about GCS, but he played 2011 as a fwd went into defence in 2012 and smashed it.

My question is what does he do in 2013?  Bock will return to where? defence or fwd? that was in dispute last season also before he was injured.

Harbrow returns to defence and Broughton comes into defence. so yeah does stanley rotate between half back and midifeld , or fwd nad midfield.

which would be better in fantasy?

In the prospectus Freako says; "given he is defender this season, you should SERIOUSLY consider him"

Finished 3rd in the best and fairest last season playing only 13 games.

He and Garry are the only 2 players to featue in the top 5 of the B&F in both seasons.

He played all but one match last season after round 8,

ranked at the club;

#1 marks
#2 intercept possessions
#3 disposals
#3 effective kicks
#3 contested possessions
#3 hardball gets
#3 loose ball gets
#3 uncontested possessions
#3 handball recieves

one of only 5 general defenders in the AFL to rank both ELITE for contested possessions and uncontested possessions pre game.

He was the numbr 1 goal kicker for the Suns in 2011.

I personally want to see something to confirm his fitness in the NAB CUP and I also want to know where he is going to play and how this will effect his scoring 79 as a fwd in 2011 ( less ball for the suns playing fwd in 2011) 92 as a defender in 2012 (plenty of the ball playing in defence for GCS in 2012)

this said the suns will go forward and be better this season so who knows ?

elephants

I seriously can't see him going under 95.. Superstar!

(Brilliantly put Colli!)

Toga

Hey azza, Stanley's absence from the team at the start of last year was from SUSPENSION not injury iirc... Club imposed I think!

So think he still had a preseason, just wasn't able to play or something...

Imo this year he will go 95+ as elephants said, playing in the midfield and off of half back. Bock will come into the team and go back to that role in the fwd line (as I think the suns really need a prominent target up there), while Harbrow, Tom Murphy & Broughts all come to the back line. That being said I see Stanley playing throug the centre this year, possibly with a few stints off of half back, with broughts/brow also rotating through the mids and Murphy playing lockdown.

Get aboard the Stanley train! I'm on already!

Justin Bieber

He's third in everything because Bennell and Ablett are one and two lol.

Ricochet

Quote from: Colliwobblers on February 28, 2013, 01:24:01 AM
My question is what does he do in 2013?  Bock will return to where? defence or fwd? that was in dispute last season also before he was injured.

Harbrow returns to defence and Broughton comes into defence. so yeah does stanley rotate between half back and midifeld , or fwd nad midfield.
This is from a while ago so could have changed but...

http://www.goldcoastfc.com.au/news/2013-01-10/mr-consistent-eyes-midfield-role

“I spoke to Bluey [McKenna] and the coaches at the end of last season and they said they’ll be looking at playing me more in the midfield and up forward.”

“Now that we’ve got a few more mature bodies down back, I’m looking forward to developing my game more around stoppages, and resting up forward where I’ll hopefully be able to kick a few goals as well.”

GM

This all sounds good for Stanley.
Lets hope we see some signs of this in the next couple of weeks.

azza707

I did a bit of reading and apparently Stanley had a back issue going into 2012. Read an article from september 2012 saying that he was pretty frustrated to be out, but had a few good games in the twos and got back into the side pretty quick. If this is indeed true, which is most likely so, then that is a massive effort by him to come out and average almost 93 when he was very much underdone. who knows what he is capable of with a full pre season.

Also, tbh i dont really think it matters what position he plays. There has been plenty of talk and the articles to back it up that he will be moving into the midfield, especially with Broughton and Murphy now at GC. Danny Stanley is pretty much the definition of a 'utility.' the guy can play anywhere, fwd, back mids whatever. While he may not get as many cheap marks floating around the backline, im sure he will rack up more touches and tackles playing midfield. Surely having a full pre season and moving into the midfield cant make your scores go backwards :P so yeah he seems like a pretty solid pick to me, almost a lock, which is kinda weird as i had automatically written him off as way too expensive up until now. Will most likey start with round 1 at this point in time.