2012 Games: 15

2012 Ave: 86

Centuries: 3

Highs: 150 vs Sydney, 111 vs Essendon, 105 vs GWS

Lows: 49 vs GWS, 52 vs St Kilda, 72 vs West Coast

FanPlanner Price: $456,800

Position: Defence/Midfield

Thoughts
Watts has been very much a whipping boy in his short career, as a number one draft pick so much was expected from the young man, unfortunately he is yet to deliver the football many expected. He came to Melbourne as a key forward, but now with the likes of Mitch Clark, Chris Dawes and Cam Pederson at the club, there is no longer a need for Watts to play forward, he spent the majority of 2012 in defence. On paper his numbers don’t look all that special, however Watts did have an interrupted year through injury, he started the year off poorly averaging just 75.4 in the opening five rounds, he then missed the next two weeks, and then returned playing off the half-back line. This is were his numbers begin to interest me, from rounds 8-15, with Watts roaming around defence he averaged 102.3 including all three of his tons for the year, before injuring his ankle and returning to play the last three matches where he never really got going again. But his middle part of the season was sensational, 23.1 disposals, 6.4 marks and 102 SC points per game is fantastic for a defender. Now that he is settled and comfortable in the one position for the first time in his career, I think Watts will have a breakout season and show everyone his true potential, rebounding and delivering off half-back with class.

Verdict
Watts is in my team at the moment, I believe his fifth season in the system will be his best by far. He is also a DPP adding flexibility, he has shown glimpses of his superb talent and I think he is ready to take the next step and really start to impact matches. Given a strong pre season while playing a role that will equate too many high scores, he could be one of the unique buys of the season.

Prediction

quinny88

I already did Watts a while back
http://www.fanfooty.com.au/forum/index.php/topic,68759.0.html
Not your fault though, he isnt in the directory. Nice to get a 2nd opinion anyway

shorty3264

Quote from: quinny88 on December 09, 2012, 06:17:54 PM
I already did Watts a while back
http://www.fanfooty.com.au/forum/index.php/topic,68759.0.html
Not your fault though, he isnt in the directory. Nice to get a 2nd opinion anyway
oh did you, sorry mate. well yeh i've had him in my fanplanner and that, then saw he wasn't in the directory haha.
Sorry mate.
Cheers

quinny88

Its all good! Like I said, good to get another opinion.

Only thing that concerns me with Watts is his desire and hunger. Looks so lazy and disinterested far too often. I was actually watching a repeat of Melbourne vs Gws the other day on fox footy (yes I was very bored) and the way he just minced around the backline and went at so many contests half hearted made me wonder if he will ever make it. I think he is the sort of guy that will play really well when Melbourne are playing really well which looks to be a while off so ill pass on him

shorty3264

Quote from: quinny88 on December 10, 2012, 08:18:38 PM
Its all good! Like I said, good to get another opinion.

Only thing that concerns me with Watts is his desire and hunger. Looks so lazy and disinterested far too often. I was actually watching a repeat of Melbourne vs Gws the other day on fox footy (yes I was very bored) and the way he just minced around the backline and went at so many contests half hearted made me wonder if he will ever make it. I think he is the sort of guy that will play really well when Melbourne are playing really well which looks to be a while off so ill pass on him
Yeh your right there, It's a little similar to Bernard Tomic in that respect, I'd like to think its a mixture of confidence/backing himself and just being a laxadasical player. He is finally now settle on a position and will improve, its a matter of how much. But your right he really hasn't shown enough, other than his potential. Big year for Watts.

Adamant

I think he'll have a great year, and will be a nice POD... just cant fit him in.

Jay

He's in my team at the moment :) should be good for a POD and has a nice bye

ossie85

Yeah, a defender puts him in the mix for sure.... I do like Watts, is unfairly judged.

..... but would say a bit unlikely for me