ANZAC Day Blockbuster

Started by Doyle, April 16, 2012, 06:01:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McRooster

Quote from: McRooster on April 27, 2012, 12:31:38 AM
Quote from: Cookie Monster on April 27, 2012, 12:02:20 AM
Quote from: PowerBug on April 26, 2012, 11:42:16 PM
Quote from: Cookie Monster on April 26, 2012, 10:07:53 PM
Essendon and Collingwood made this day their own.

Other teams are just jealous, no other teams will make a crowd or atmosphere like these 2.

Go make your own day everyone else and stop trying to take what we made!
Sorry, i disagree. The match has got nothing to do with who is out there, it is about the people that lost their lives serving for our country. Without them there will be no ANZAC day match. That is why people are asking for it to be changed, as the reason behind the footy game SHOULD be more important than the footy game.
The thing is , Essendon and Collingwood thought of playing a game on ANZAC Day to commemorate those fallen, that's why in the footy world the day belongs to Essendon and Collingwood, yes it's more about the fallen soldiers, but it was Essendon and Collingwood who thought of playing a match to commemorate that.
Lest we forget,

I wrote the below message in a card to my Grandpa (who was a spitfire/kittyhawk engineer and fought in Darwin and Borneo) because at 87, this may have been his last dawn service  :'(

Thankyou Grandpa for my freedom,
Thankyou for my wife,
Thankyou for my children,
Thankyou for my life.

he always has hated collingwood and was a bombers fan (from being in the air force) before crows came in, I'd really love for him, my dad, my son and me, 4 generations, to attend an ANZAC day game next year here in SA!
Grandpa didn't make it  :'(

Passed away peacefully on my 40th Birthday, aged 89 years.

Cherished Grandpa of 15 grandchildren and 29 great grandchildren.

He served for 5 years of WWII, in PNG, Darwin, South Pacific as a KiityHawk engineer. He married my Grandma upon his return and they lived in the same house for 67 years.

There is so much more I wish I could say to you mate and I miss you. We had the most fantastic Fathers Day with you last week and I will forever remember the words my son, your Great Grandson, said to me when I told him of your passing..he said 'Grandpa was a war hero'

'there is a place in our hearts
That is yours alone
A part of our life no one else can own
The tears in our eyes we can wipe away
But the love in our hearts is here to stay.

Others are taken, this we know
But you were ours and we loved you so
And in our hearts you will always stay
Loved and remembered every day.'

This is from the back page of Grandpas funeral notes, but I see it as the first page in a new chapter of respect for those who fought for us. My Uncle (my Dads younger brother) pointed out at the wake that there would only be 5 people alive in this room (of 27) would it not have been for the efforts of the KiityHawks in WWII.

FYI - more bombs were dropped on Darwin during WWII than were dropped on Pearl Harbour.