Saints and Swans to play ANZAC day in New Zealand

Started by LF, September 12, 2012, 03:52:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LF

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/147501/default.aspx

Being played next year after the traditional Bombers v Pies game so it can be broadcast live

What are peoples thoughts on  this?

tbagrocks

once again the AFL take a non Victorian club to play the Saints, where are the Collingwood and other big club supporters who complain about the draw? don't see them traveling oversees, or up north, or Canberra to play a lesser supported Melbourne team ::) somebody tell me why West Coast have to travel first to Melbourne, then Tasmania to play when Collingwood are right there?

Capper

wow expect a low scoring game.

Will be miserable weather but i like the idea. Big SC scores from the tackling machines Bolton, Jack and co

c4v3m4n

It's going to be a momentous day.

The first ever match for premiership points held outside Australia. :o

Apparently the Saints are looking at playing one game in Wellington each year over the next three years. Fair enough too, NZ is just as far as Melbourne to Perth and its one of the largest AFL markets outside Australia. Plus, fantastic idea holding it on ANZAC Day in New Zealand. On this rare occassion, pat on the back AFL.

2013: New Zealand

2015: India and China

2040: The World? :P

monstrum

Headlines 26th april 2013

"44 AFL Players have been raped by a local tribe of mauri's. Its said that the tribe performed their native "haka" dance before performing their traditional ritual of raping Australian tourists. Several of the players are said to never walk again. The AFL is scheduled to comment this afternoon."

monstrum

Some of the sydney players are quoted as saying " rape? I dont know anything about any rapes!? We had a good time abroad"

quinny88

Quote from: tbagrocks on September 12, 2012, 03:58:53 PM
once again the AFL take a non Victorian club to play the Saints, where are the Collingwood and other big club supporters who complain about the draw? don't see them traveling oversees, or up north, or Canberra to play a lesser supported Melbourne team ::) somebody tell me why West Coast have to travel first to Melbourne, then Tasmania to play when Collingwood are right there?

Sydney would have agreed to playing in NZ. Its an interstate side because this game would have got about 30,000 in Melbourne whereas a game against one of the bigger Vic clubs would be more likely to have 50,000+ of course they are going to want an interstate side to play.

And big victorian clubs like Collingwood dont travel to remote grounds because they get massive crowds to there games so teams want to play there home games against them at the MCG to maximize profit.

tbagrocks

yeah we all know that obvious stuff! but wait, I thought the AFL wanted an even competition :o just because something makes you money doesn't make it right ;)

quinny88

Quote from: tbagrocks on September 12, 2012, 10:56:26 PM
yeah we all know that obvious stuff! but wait, I thought the AFL wanted an even competition :o just because something makes you money doesn't make it right ;)

Like I said, this is what the clubs want not the AFL.
If Sydney said no we dont want to play there, they wouldnt have to