DREAMTEAM: 131 vs WB in 2011

SUPERCOACH: 123 vs Port in 2009

2008 GAMES: 17    DT AVERAGE: 54

2009 GAMES: 19    DT AVERAGE: 60

2010 GAMES: 20    DT AVERAGE: 58

2011 GAMES: 16    DT AVERAGE: 63

2012 GAMES: 4     DT AVERAGE: 57

HISTORY

2007  Played 4 games and was named emergency 7 times.

2008 Played 18 matches mainly in defence using his running capacity and spoiling ability to advantage. Started to acclimatise to the elite level and won the clubs most improved player. Played in the Qualifying Final and was emergency in the Grand Final.

2009 The defender capitalised on his opportunities in 2009 in the absence of injured key backmen Stephen Gilham and Trent Coad and was thrown the challenge of playing on key forwards. Was at his best early and remained one of the few constants in the back half

2010 Rebounded from a 2 week spell in the VFL to become one of Hawthorns most consistent and reliable defenders. Enjoyed not having to stand the No 1 or No 2 forwards from the opposition and offered the Hawks great flexability because of his ability to play tall or short depending on circumstance. Finished fourth in marks. His value off the field was underlined when he was named best clubman

2011 Matched up mainly on mid sized forwards but played some good footy on small forwards. Captained the Hawks for the round 24 clash with Gold Coast when many stars were rested

2012 Only managed four games in a strong Hawthorn team

VERDICT: See what kind of role he will play in the NAB for the Suns. He will probably play every game for the season and could be a go to man out of defence. Has captain abilities and could be named in the leadership group if he can raise his average he could be good value at 237k.

PREDICTION: 65-75 ?  Not enough to become a keeper but might be a good stepping stone to a premo

Suns snare Murphy

GOLD Coast has announced the signature of former Hawthorn defender Tom Murphy in a deal it believes will help to develop the Suns' group of emerging defenders.

Murphy, 26, played 95 games during his eight seasons with the Hawks, and was a member of the club's leadership group for his last four seasons.

He's expected to play a big role in supporting Suns defenders Rory Thompson, Seb Tape, Henry Schade, Matt Shaw and Trent McKenzie.

The Suns' general manager â€" football operations, Marcus Ashcroft, said the club was thrilled to secure the mature defender.

"Tom not only brings great experience from Hawthorn to the club, but we believe he will play a vital role in continuing to develop our group on and off the field

Murphy was an unrestricted free agent because he fell outside the range of Hawthorn's top 25 per cent of salary-earners.

He has become the Suns' first recruit to be signed in the Gillette AFL Free Agency period.

Murphy said he was rapt to be joining the Suns.

"They’re a club with a heap of talent and I can't wait to join the team and help them take their next step.

"I will be forever grateful to everyone at the Hawthorn Football Club. I really enjoyed my time there but I'm now really looking forward to continuing my career with the Gold Coast Suns."

Hawthorn selected Murphy at No.21 in the 2004 NAB AFL Draft. He stood in as the club's captain in the final round of the 2011 season.

The most disappointing aspect of his time at Glenferrie was that he played early finals in 2008 and 2012 only to be dropped for the Grand Final in both seasons.

Hawthorn coach Alastair Clarkson wished Murphy all the best at the Suns.

"Tom has made a valuable contribution during his eight years at Hawthorn Football Club and I'm sure he will be an excellent leader and teacher for the younger players at Gold Coast," Clarkson said.

"He is much admired and respected by our playing and coaching group and we wish him well in his next AFL opportunity."

Murphy won Hawthorn's most improved award in 2008 - the club’s premiership year - and he was voted best clubman in 2010.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/149610/default.aspx

quinny88

Awkwardly priced, its a shame if he was under 200k i would probably lock him in

Ajax22

I think Bock and even Harbrow would be well in front of him for selection from the Suns team at similar prices. I don't think I could see him doing enough to be worth picking up

Footy_Boiz

henry

I loved him as a player hopefully he does well at the Gold Coast. It would be hard for him to get a game for us next year barring injury with Lake in the side now. Yeah too pricey for me unfortunately, though can see him averaging around 70.

Justin Bieber

Lock him in!! Nah jokes, but I hope he does well :)

Scrads

Will miss him at the Hawks alot and he will be a very good player for the suns but I doubt his move will move him into the realm of DT relevancy unfortunately.

Football Factory

Cant see him in my team  ;D   .. you guys do know that because all the fantasy relevant players profiles were done i have been left with players like Murphy,Cassisi,Fisher etc   :'(

Scrads

Quote from: FOOTBALL FACTORY on October 12, 2012, 09:54:53 PM
Cant see him in my team  ;D   .. you guys do know that because all the fantasy relevant players profiles were done i have been left with players like Murphy,Cassisi,Fisher etc   :'(

You did a good job on him mate !!

Hawka

Expiernece and leadership dosent mean high scores, wont improve his output much at all

Adamant

I'll pass at that price, thought he would be much lower after only playing 4 games ???

Scrads

Quote from: Adamant on October 13, 2012, 01:55:25 PM
I'll pass at that price, thought he would be much lower after only playing 4 games ???

Well if it is a fair chunk lower he may be a decent option...

Spinking

He will definitely improve his output at the suns, but I doubt it will be significant enough to justify picking him. No deal for me.

Shihan7