Main Menu

Extending Careers of Aging Stars

Started by Ringo, July 25, 2012, 09:22:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ringo

http://www.lions.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/5085/newsid/142395/default.aspx

"MICHAEL Voss will consider using Simon Black as a substitute if it ensures his champion onballer goes around for another season."

There has been a lot of suggestions using these stars as subs or person being being subbed to prolong careers.  Article states that Voss is seriously considering it with Simon Black.

Do you think it is viable and obviously will need caution in selecting thes players in the future.

Fireballz

Would they be paid a quarter of the salary? I don't think the sub can be used like that every week so it's a risk.

Spinking

Might be frustrating for fans to have a club champion sitting on the pine for three quarters of a game, while a kid runs around on the field.

Also the best subs seem to be impact players who can come on and do a lot of damage in a short period of time. Not sure that a 30+ player at the end of his career is the best to do this.

KoopKicka

Quote from: Spinking on July 25, 2012, 10:49:32 AM
Might be frustrating for fans to have a club champion sitting on the pine for three quarters of a game, while a kid runs around on the field.

Also the best subs seem to be impact players who can come on and do a lot of damage in a short period of time. Not sure that a 30+ player at the end of his career is the best to do this.

Yeah, the best substitutes are impact players, such as David Rodan, Allen Christensen and Bradley Hill. If a match is tight and you introduce a sub you dont want it to be a 30 year old veteran, you want it to be a player who can immediately make an impact and win you the game.

meow meow

He said it can work the other way too. Play Black for 3 quarters then sub him off every game that they don't have an injury.

Tominator

Quote from: KoopKicka on July 25, 2012, 10:55:25 AM

Yeah, the best substitutes are impact players, such as David Rodan, Allen Christensen and Bradley Hill. If a match is tight and you introduce a sub you dont want it to be a 30 year old veteran, you want it to be a player who can immediately make an impact and win you the game.

David Rodan is but stupid Primus never gives him a game..... Aaron Young getting a game over David Rodan?!?!

Port have a history of using their veterans very badly, think back to Peter and Shaun Burgoyne; the Cornes brothers; Stephen Salopek; Dean Brogan, and now Rodan.

no offence mate but I do not rate Primus as a coach...

KoopKicka

Quote from: Tominator on July 30, 2012, 09:19:38 PM

David Rodan is but stupid Primus never gives him a game..... Aaron Young getting a game over David Rodan?!?!

Port have a history of using their veterans very badly, think back to Peter and Shaun Burgoyne; the Cornes brothers; Stephen Salopek; Dean Brogan, and now Rodan.

Neither do I. ;)

After watching the game on the weekend it was clear as ever that Primus is the showertest coach we've had.

Seriously, Rodan,Salopek etc. not getting a game is flowering ridiculous

Tominator

Quote from: KoopKicka on July 30, 2012, 09:22:21 PM
Quote from: Tominator on July 30, 2012, 09:19:38 PM

Neither do I. ;)

After watching the game on the weekend it was clear as ever that Primus is the showertest coach we've had.

Seriously, Rodan,Salopek etc. not getting a game is flowering ridiculous

agree to all of what you said. Good to hear a Port supporter who see the light with Primus.... or lack there of

tbagrocks

I have though for a while that Primus can't produce these young players but...

who can? Bassett won't step straight into a senior role I'm thinking maybe Francou?

can't really see an interstate coach coming over to try fix the problem! could do worse than Francou!