Main Menu

Coach interview - Ringo

Started by Cruiseon, February 12, 2013, 12:13:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cruiseon

Well upon consultation the Coach's interview returns to the Front Bar - there are now 14 of these profiles in the Coach's section but feedback and comments is welcomed from all FF members regardless of rank, age or persuasion. Enjoy.
_______________________________________________________________________________________

To kick off the 2013 year we were searching for coach who would set the tone for what we all hope is a high quality year ahead. A friendly, reliable and mature Coach, who appeals to the masses and quite frankly I think we nailed it. So it is with great pleasure I welcome Ringo to the 14th edition of Cruize News.

Thanks for the Honour of being the first coach interviewed for 2013.

Welcome aboard Ringo. You are born and bred Queenslander and like most of the state you played and supported League for a fair portion of your life. Post your semi-conversion to AFL/VFL can you explain how you began to follow Brisbane so avidly?

Being a sports nut used to watch the AFL Grand Final and thought this was just a game of aerial ping pong.  A common phrase in Qld.  However after seeing my first game live in the early 70's realised that there was more to it as a lot of the set ups, off the ball work etc does not come across on TV. Became my second sport and started following North Melbourne.  When Brisbane entered the competition in the late 80's being a true Queenslander switched allegiance from North Melbourne to Brisbane.  Big change occurred in 1995 when the Rugby League split with Super League and I became disillusioned and went over to the AFL and coincidentally the Bears were now playing at the Gabba rather than Carrara.. The second thing that happened was the merger of Fitzroy and Bears in 1996 to form a strong club and I became a club member in 1998 and been a member and supporter ever since.

A lot of the younger FF Coaches won’t realise that in the 70’s there was very little, and no live, VFL/AFL on television. I understand you had a revelation when you made the long journey to Melbourne many years ago and saw your first live game. Can you give some insight as to where that was, your memories of it, and some of the players you saw that day?

As I said above it was a trip to Melbourne in 1972 that got me into starting to follow AFL as a second sport. As I was staying in the Northern Suburbs went to a game between North Melbourne and ironically Fitzroy at Arden Street. Family I was staying with followed North and lived in Brunswick. My memories were the skill involved with accuracy of kicking in finding players, the high marking and yes the shots on goals. Can only remember a few players David Dench, Dennis Pagan, Sam Kekovich and Keith Greig from North Melbourne.  Surprisingly could not remember the Fitzroy players apart from Kevin Murray although they won the game I think. Common it was 40 years ago.

We like discovering things in this format and whilst many of us have children, I discovered that you are privileged enough to have grandchildren. As an older wiser head, can you give some advice on staying connected with other generations? Do you see the FF forums and indeed football more broadly as a bonding factor?

The advice I would give to everyone is 2 things listen to what everyone is saying and respect everyones opinion even if different to yours. This one of the things I enjoy about FF in most cases we can express opinions without being attacked.  Love FF and its wide ranging age of members both male and female and the knowledge all seem to have about football.  Some of the topics in the Front bar are out of my league and comfort zone but that is top be expected in a wide range of ages on the forum.

The Bears/Lions have had their fair share of cult heros over the years and people who divide a room. Whilst everyone would love to have a beer with Johnathon Brown or Simon Black can you put in order who you’d least like to have a beer with:  Jared Brennan, Warrick Capper, Brad Hardie, Roger Merrett, Jason Akermanis, Justin Sherman, Nathan Buckley.

As you say some of these can divide a room so my opinion may differ to others but here goes:
Roger Merrett, Brad Hardie, Jared Brennan, Justin Sherman, Jason Akermanis. Warwick Capper and Nathan Buckley.

Now Ringo you’ve stepped up as a Captain in the 2013 Supercoach Elxam league. Can you share any of your early insights into the 2013 SC season and how you’ll be leading from the front? Also do you think you are a chance to joining those of us in the elite Champions Elxam League in 2014?

Have no pre conceived ideas for this year Cruise, Will be trying to encourage all members in the League to do their best. Couple of Rivalries will be established within the team.  Tabs and I will continue our Qld/NSW Rivalry and a couple of others may pop up as well. Will let the promotion to Champions league take care of itself. but will need to improve to make it.

As you know I always like to weave a musical thread into the interviews somewhere so I’d like you to dig back through your extensive archives and attach a band that sums up the following 5 players:
Music is not my strong point and some of the bands I name may not ring with younger members as they will all be from my era. .
Malcolm Blight -Creedence Clearwater Revival
Alistair Lynch - Carpenters
Pearce Hanley -  U2
MickyConlan -  Pink Floyd
Kieran Jack - Queen

Finally Ringo, you are also a passionate Australian coin collector and I suspect like myself, most know very little about this world. Can you share your two proudest pieces and what are the items we should be looking for in our grand-parents attics and sheds?

There is value to be had in a lot of coins Cruise
My proudest collection rather than individual pieces is a complete collection of Australian Decimal coins issued for circulation since 1966. I am still trying to get a full collection of pre-decimal coins together  and just need to complete the florins (1 year required) and shillings to complete that set.

From these I would say the latest coin I acquired for the florin collection being the 1932 florin that cost me $300.
Most grandparents shed contain mainly pennys and halfpennys and whilst we all know about the 1930 penny the following pennys 1925 and 1946 are both worth upwards of $60 and 1915 and and 1924 halfpennies are worth upwards of $30 each. Dependent on condition of coins.

Thanks for your time Ringo.

And again thank you cruise for this opportunity.