Main Menu

Is this the same as staging?

Started by ossie85, June 17, 2012, 04:21:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ossie85

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/138759/default.aspx

Ablett's goal was a point, and he knew it.

Does anyone think this is any different to staging? I'm not sure it is. Ablett creating a fake reaction in order to get a favourable outcome from the umpire.

Either way, it is hard to argue that this isn't cheating. Every player will do it, and it's a bit like the 'walking' issue in cricket, where team goals outweigh the spirit of the game.

roo boys!

If we lost....

But yeah I kinda agree Oss, but what was he supposed to do? He didn't have that much of a celebration from the footage until the umpire paid the goal, and it's not like he's going to run up to the umpire and tell them it wasn't a goal. Don't think the umpire even looked to see if he celebrated before paying it, they just assumed it went through the big sticks so was 6 points.

pyronerd

I agree with RB on this case, in an ideal world you would expect GAJ to say, wait, it was touched, but you can't really blame him too much in this case (and before anyone questions it, no I'm not saying this just cause it's GAJ, in fact I hate it when people overpla what he does or underplay what he does wrong :P)

ossie85

I agree, I'm not knocking Ablett at all. Just not sure it is any different is all

Capper

if it was a GC kid rather than GAJ and he goes up to the ump and says it was touched he may just be dropped for their next game and traded by GC next year.

ITs up to the umpires to make these decisions. If we take these decisions to the video then we delay the game and make it boring for the fans