Harrys Handball! Anzac Sappers!

Started by owenbond007, April 25, 2012, 11:36:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PowerBug

I personally have nothing against players dropping their kness to act shorter and getting free kicks, i think it's a clever tactic which other clubs should look at using too.

The way i see unceramonious is that you are complaining agianst the Eagles players for acting shorter than normal and getting free kicks they wouldn't otherwise get. I see it as smart play, not dirty play or biased umpiring.

Ricochet

Quote from: PowerBug on April 26, 2012, 10:50:52 AM
I personally have nothing against players dropping their kness to act shorter and getting free kicks, i think it's a clever tactic which other clubs should look at using too.

Exactly. I heard/read somewhere Jelwood say he is simply exploiting a weakness in his opponent because they are not strong enough both mentally and physically to get low and tackle him properly... sums it up perfectly

Ricochet

Quote from: Ricochet on April 26, 2012, 10:56:53 AM
Quote from: PowerBug on April 26, 2012, 10:50:52 AM

Exactly. I heard/read somewhere Jelwood say he is simply exploiting a weakness in his opponent because they are not strong enough both mentally and physically to get low and tackle him properly... sums it up perfectly

Actually i found it.
http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/selwoods-loophole-20120408-1wjoi.html

'I see the benefit and an advantage I am getting at the moment on someone else because I see a weakness in what they are doing. The majority of the time they are doing 95 per cent of the tackle right. It is just that 5 per cent where I can use my upper body strength, I can dip at the knees slightly."

"'You just have to work to your strengths and I draw on that, if I am on someone not as strong or experienced.''

Jalapeno

completly disagree and think its a joke and if what u say is right and other teams should start doing it then in 5 years AFL will be softer than soccer! Just wait till the eagles play a quality side at the real home of footy i.e hawks, geelong, carlton or the pies and then we will see whos laughing. they wont stand a chance unless the free kick count is attrocious again anyway

Cayenne

Dropping your legs is the same as ducking your head into the tackle and should be called the same way.

The high contact/tackle rules are there to try protect from serious injury, so if you're ducking/dropping deliberately to get your head knocked about for a free it's your own fault and should be play on.

Dropping to your knees is just a bit harder to call deliberate than someone ramming their head into an oncoming tackler, although they seem to be calling high on ducking your head these days too.

It's all well and good saying it's a weakness in your opponent but what are they to do when your waist suddenly becomes your throat when you drop to your knees after theyve committed to the tackle?

unceramonius

NO WAY IS IT LEGIT

So they want to protect the head at all costs?  But ENCOURAGE players to get hit in the head for a definite shot on goal? Please...... what horse crap.   If you duck...its play on.  If you shrug your knees and get hit in the head...guess what? Its your fault...play on.

What will happen is a few things.  Clubs will get so sick of West Coast getting 100 frees a game, that they will all start doing the same crap.  It will be free after free after free.  And fair enough.  If its a free for West Coast its a free for other teams too then.

Or....because the afl loves handing out frees regardless if you cause the head high hit yourself or not......a player gets paralyzed.  Then what?  Head high should be DISCOURAGED......not ENCOURAGED.

Some of those frees in that west coast game were a utter disgrace. Kerr gets it out of defence.....bam head straight down as a hawks player comes.  Pritus...the knob jockey just taps the ball three times with his head down.....cant go near him....free kick.

And scott selwood just ducks EVERYTIME a player is near him. He probably ducks through his doorways at home too.  It isnt smart.  The rule needs changing, or by seasons end EVERY club will be doing this.  Expect slow, mundane games with stoppage after stoppage. 

Or will it be like always...and its play on for the other teams but a free kick for the eagles?  To be the team with the most frees for...and the least against BY A WIDE MARGAIN.....is mighty mighty strange.

So lets hope all clubs play "smart" as you put it.  If its a free for west coast...then lets start seeing them be called for the same "infringements"

azza707

lol you are one angry little boy! jesuuus ease  up there.

coming from a neutral supporter, i really dont think the eagles v hawks game was umpired that bad. so what the free kick count was 20-3. not every game is stock standard mate, you get odd ones out.

and so what if players duck their head into tackles. at the moment there is no clear rule stating what to do in those situations and its a bit of a grey area, and thus some players like selwood are taking advantage of this while its still their. good on them for playing smart and having the strength to repeatedly get low in a tackle and putting their body on the line for the team.

brad sewell even posted an article the other day that the better players should be starting to adjust their tackling technique in order to counter players who drop in tackles. the rule does need fixing and clarification but he has a point, players now need to start finding ways to counter this.

seriously, stop having a massive whinge on a thread where its not even relevant.

unceramonius

Um azza , dont let facts get in the way of a good story?

We all know that SOME games the free kick count will fluctuate.  But when its the SAME TEAM.....ALWAYS getting the better end of the calls.....well then hmmmmmm it is a problem.

18 teams.....17 of them have their frees for and against ALMOST EQUAL.   What is the eagles count?  42 for.....18 AGAINST.

lolololololololololololool.....something isnt right here.

Alot of people are like demetriou......ssssshhhhhhh dont talk about it...dont mention it.   They threaten fines, etc , etc.  Good on clarko getting the word out, because this favouring of the eagles has to stop.  How can they be THE ONLY TEAM.....to have so few called against them?  And yet lead the leauge in frees for?  And 17 other teams have almost identical fors and against?

Cayenne

If it was 20-3 on the weekend and 42-18 overall, then prior to this week the eagles had more frees against them than for them unceramonius.... So 'the facts' seem to agree with azza.

LF

Quote from: unceramonius on April 26, 2012, 03:20:33 PM
Um azza , dont let facts get in the way of a good story?

We all know that SOME games the free kick count will fluctuate.  But when its the SAME TEAM.....ALWAYS getting the better end of the calls.....well then hmmmmmm it is a problem.

18 teams.....17 of them have their frees for and against ALMOST EQUAL.   What is the eagles count?  42 for.....18 AGAINST.

lolololololololololololool.....something isnt right here.

Alot of people are like demetriou......ssssshhhhhhh dont talk about it...dont mention it.   They threaten fines, etc , etc.  Good on clarko getting the word out, because this favouring of the eagles has to stop.  How can they be THE ONLY TEAM.....to have so few called against them?  And yet lead the leauge in frees for?  And 17 other teams have almost identical fors and against?

Seriously dipshower STFU
all you do in this forum is whinge and carry on about the Eagles even if the topic has nothing to do with them
You don`t ever contribute anything remotely useful to the forums
You have a massive chip on your shoulder as if the world owes you something

That is all i have to say to you
you sir are a TROLL