Main Menu

Boring Footy?

Started by elephants, April 19, 2012, 01:45:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elephants

Directed at all Freo supporters but mainly Valk and Cic as they run this board :P

Where do you all stand on Lyon's game plan. It isn't pretty but if it grinds out results are you guys happy??

I am not sure I would be. Just curious :)

CrowsFan

So are you saying you wouldn't be happy if the Weagles won the premiership playing like Freo currently? I highly doubt that.

I haven't actually seen a Freo game yet this year so can't actually comment, but I guess you can compare it with Man Utd. Some times they play terribly and look boring and awful but still somehow grind out the win, and it is those games that win them the premiership year in year out. Freo may just be going through a rough patch adjusting to the new game plan, but at least they are still winning ;)

elephants

Sorry I guess I worded it badly.

I wouldn't be happy watching the games. Of course however if we did it and won a premiership I would learn to love it.

Just curious if Valk and Cic find it equallly as dull to watch and whether or not it changes the way they feel about Ross Lyon coaching their beloved team.

Will you be up for Chelsea vs Barca CF??

Barlow 21

I don't mind it personally. I'm just happy to get the 4 points regardless of how boring our gameplan may be. :)

Ricochet

im not 100% sure on what the game plan is atm haha
we've beaten the 2011 premiers (far from dull) then lost to Sydney over there (The Dull Kings from Dullsville) and beat Brissie by kicking 8.16 (if we kicked straight it would have been less dull??)

TheMailman

Quote from: Ricochet on April 19, 2012, 11:11:38 AM
im not 100% sure on what the game plan is atm haha
we've beaten the 2011 premiers (far from dull) then lost to Sydney over there (The Dull Kings from Dullsville) and beat Brissie by kicking 8.16 (if we kicked straight it would have been less dull??)

Maybe next time you could pay the umpires more?

Cicjose

We are aiming to defend first attack second

obviously lyon wants 2 targets up forward hence why Clarke was training with the forward group

Ringo

Last weeks dull game was also because Brisbane indulged in defend at all costs as well so obviusly wqas going to be a low scoring game.

valkorum

I couldnt give a rats ass how we look as long as we win.  If we are the most boring team - so be it.  4 points is 4 points and I will take as many of them as we can get during the season.

The Cats game was exciting as hell (touted as game of the round). Sydney game is a small oval and a 40 point lead at half time by Sydney is quite exciting, then there is the fightback from Freo in the second half.  Poor kicking (and bad umpiring 8) ) cost us there.

The Brissy game (as Ringo said) was more about the tactics Brisbane were using.  They were trying to defend the game rather than win it.  We basically had to wear them down and then we were able to break the game open - we just couldnt kick straight.  8.16 is still 24 shots at goal and then keeping them to 20 inside 50's and only 10 shots on goal.  We should have won by 60 points and not 20.

But back on topic - I couldnt give a rats ass how we win :)

Colliwobblers

That was the MOST enjoyable game of footy you will see Freo play all season.  ;D It is going to be painful and boring to watch, but although they have a lot of improving to do I liked the way they played, not to say the longer Lyons reigns the tighter and more structured they will become, and the more boring. (I reckon everything we saw that was entertaining and "liked" - Lyons would not have liked  ;) )

Freo supporters must be happy with a fit sandi, Barlow just warming up with 30, mundy a couple of games behind barlow but you know he is coming, PEARCE (where did his form come from), a couple of the average defenders are standing up too in johnson and deboer and duffbeer, clarke is improcing and handy, mzungzu is exciting hill faught through the tag in the second half to make an impact.

Gees apart from Fyfe things are looking good for the dockers, especially since they don't win at ethihad or vs the saints, good be in for a good season.

I'll say one thing I still reckon a Lyons coached side will still be better to watch than Sydney.

Cicjose

Pearce has been on our list for some time Colli

but he won't be in our best 22 when Fyfe, Mellington and Walters come back in

valkorum

I wouldnt be so confident about that Cic.  Before this season started I would agree with you but Pearce has played a role as a tough midfielder.... and everyone knows how much Lyon loves those.  He worked his ass off during pre-season and has been rewarded.

I wouldnt be so sure that Walters will get a spot in the side - considering Lyon sent him back to the Swans (WAFL) to train and has only just been allowed back to train with the main group.

Pearce is here to stay I think