Broc McCauley

Started by Pokerface, April 19, 2012, 09:54:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pokerface

Is anyone else astounded that the Hawks current no.1 ruckman is only emergency? Could he still be suffering effects from last week's virus - surely a fit Broc is named in the ruck? Or have I completely misjudged the ruck pecking order?

ClarksonsArmy

the Hale/ROughy combo working too strong!

Provides the Hawks flexibility, It allows Roughy to spend more time around the ground!

With the Hawks having roughy back and Gunston/Franklin as well as one of Hale/ROughy resting now and then up fwd we would be too tall

His stats are quite amazing when you look at them for two games back....

Pokerface

Thanks Clarko. I though Broc would have been ahead of Hale in rucking duties, and with Gunston and Buddy up forward it could well have been Hale's position that was more tenuous (especially after his horrible game against Geelong). Particularly this week when Roughy will be needed down back most of the time with Cox/Q-stick/Kennedy/Darling etc. Hale was only originally recruited as backup...

ClarksonsArmy

Its quite interesting Hale plays his best football when Buddy is leading up the ground, this is often cause the opposition have two players on Franky Frank! This gives Hale the one-on one closer to goal with the likes of Breust/Rioli or mid/fwds pushing up to crumb if need be...

Personally i like this better as the midfielders kick more goals, which we need and it opens up the opposition.

Broc has been good, but for the overall ground and strucutal purposes it works well for the us with ROughy/Hale...

Subiaco oval will suit the hawks to a tee and our keepings off game with the space, one thing im don't like is the fact we have come off two 6 day breaks and playing away

mpollock

With Hale dislocating a finger last week (despite playing on) and Broc being named as an emergency it wouldn't surprise me at all if Hale was a late withdrawal for Broc  ;)

The reason i suspect this is because Clarkson has had chances to play Roughy/Hale in the past and always seems to stick to a recognised number 1 ruckman each time ... based on the fact he keeps picking Shuey who is a total dud he seems pretty stubbord once he makes a decision to back out of it.

If you ask me the Hale/Roughy combination is the hawks best ... even with a fit Broc or Bailey!!!

ClarksonsArmy

Quote from: mpollock on April 19, 2012, 10:53:25 PM
With Hale dislocating a finger last week (despite playing on) and Broc being named as an emergency it wouldn't surprise me at all if Hale was a late withdrawal for Broc  ;)

The reason i suspect this is because Clarkson has had chances to play Roughy/Hale in the past and always seems to stick to a recognised number 1 ruckman each time ... based on the fact he keeps picking Shuey who is a total dud he seems pretty stubbord once he makes a decision to back out of it.

If you ask me the Hale/Roughy combination is the hawks best ... even with a fit Broc or Bailey!!!

When you add Gilham, Bailey and Hodge back into the tea, not bad going!

mpollock

Really hope they don't bring Bailey back ... I just don't think he is going to make it as a number 1 ruckman with the role of the ruckman changing ... he needs to be able to kick 2-3 goals a game and get touches around the ground ... Hale and Roughy can do this.

Broc looked a lot better then Bailey but still would prefer Hale/Roughy.

Would be great to see Gilham back for Shoey ... and hopefully Hodge can play back and recapture his form of 2008.  It is not like we need him in the middle really.

Scarey looking team on paper the hawks ... just wondering if they will EVER beat Geelong again!!  :)

ClarksonsArmy

Quote from: mpollock on April 19, 2012, 11:10:23 PM
Really hope they don't bring Bailey back ... I just don't think he is going to make it as a number 1 ruckman with the role of the ruckman changing ... he needs to be able to kick 2-3 goals a game and get touches around the ground ... Hale and Roughy can do this.

Broc looked a lot better then Bailey but still would prefer Hale/Roughy.

Would be great to see Gilham back for Shoey ... and hopefully Hodge can play back and recapture his form of 2008.  It is not like we need him in the middle really.

Scarey looking team on paper the hawks ... just wondering if they will EVER beat Geelong again!!  :)

We always get Geelong in the one game that counts  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Pokerface

Appreciate the comments guys. Don't wanna sound like a hater, but I think the hawks make Hale look better than he is. Was only so-so at North. I think Broc will develop into a top ruckman down the track.

mpollock

+1 ClarksonsArmy 1989 ... 2008 (and we even won the GF before the 89 won from memory)  ;D ;D

I see your point Pokerface but you can't deny the guys work ethic in the last season and a bit ... he has been very consistent and really made the most of his 2nd chance.  :)

Broc is a good ruckman and not bad around the ground and could sort of work up forward resting.  But he is not as good up forward as Hale/Roughhead ... but he is nice backup ... shame he will drop behind Bailey in the 2nd half of the year.

(Bailey was added to the LTI list today so the hawks can upgrade a rookie ... perhaps Patinson as another ruck backup)

Slashers

As this is posted in the "Players & Trades in SC" section, I'd like to say I hope McCauley stays out so Hale can pump out more 100+ scores!