D Shields v D Smith for last mid starting spot

Started by Samm79, April 06, 2012, 11:36:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Samm79

Have a feeling Shields is due a vest again, is 2 weeks on from the opening game though, may be a little fitter. Thoughts?

nostradamus

l have the same question for my team. l cant see how Shiels will be match fit yet, so on that basis its Smith for me

sid3bysid3

Doubt he'll get vested but he is still bench behind smith who we've seen score big. Will be a jet once he gets going

phiz3

Shiel.

Smith - 30 - 60 (playing a small fwd role)

Shiel - 30 - 100 (playing in the guts)

Much bigger potential for shiel to score big this week. He COULD play bad, he COULD get subbed, he COULD get injured,
but he COULD get 100.

Smith is pretty certain to get a score between 30 - 60.

Torress

i'm in the same boat. going shiel if he gets subbed then so be it.

devon smith is named in the forward pocket. i have to agree and shiel has way more scope for improvement on last week than smith.

NM's backs are solid too, smith will find it hard - so will shiel but hopefully shiel can just tackle like a machine or something.

Mat0369

I am in the same position but also have Hall as well. With Kennedy being a DPP I can move him around and start who I need where but it is between Hall, Shiel and Smith. I am leaning towards Hall just so I don't start to many GWS players

ubeaut

Quote from: Mat0369 on April 06, 2012, 06:13:13 PM
I am in the same position but also have Hall as well. With Kennedy being a DPP I can move him around and start who I need where but it is between Hall, Shiel and Smith. I am leaning towards Hall just so I don't start to many GWS players
Unless Sheil is subbed off again and if he is the gun that everyone says he is - surely he'll outdo Hall and D.Smith. He plays on ball whereas the other two are forwards. If Hall plays half back all game ( he started there last week and was second possesion getter after Ablett,then got moved to the FWDs) I'd say him but this is unlikely. Just my opinion.

Bennyy

Look at the way Shiel started with 0 pre season last week. Was up to like 25 odd at quarter time. Eased back in. 2 more weeks on with a full game I reckon he could start going bananas. Im actually feeling Luke power getting subbed off depending how the giants are going i guess. Get shiel on!

upthemaidens

Quote from: ubeaut on April 06, 2012, 06:44:49 PM
Unless Sheil is subbed off again and if he is the gun that everyone says he is - surely he'll outdo Hall and D.Smith. He plays on ball whereas the other two are forwards. If Hall plays half back all game ( he started there last week and was second possesion getter after Ablett,then got moved to the FWDs) I'd say him but this is unlikely. Just my opinion.
didnt think giving advice was the done thing? ;)...
   shiel has a higher ceiling and if he does get a vest it will be more likely red not green,,

ubeaut

Quote from: upthemaidens on April 06, 2012, 07:04:09 PM
   shiel has a higher ceiling and if he does get a vest it will be more likely red not green,,
I knew someone was going to say something like that ;) I'm not against giving or receiving advice,just think it's important to weigh it all up and back yourself. I've made my mistake,it's costing me big time,but hopefully I've learnt from it.

upthemaidens

Quote from: ubeaut on April 06, 2012, 11:08:52 PM
I knew someone was going to say something like that ;) I'm not against giving or receiving advice,just think it's important to weigh it all up and back yourself. I've made my mistake,it's costing me big time,but hopefully I've learnt from it.
thats cool man, just playin with ya...  i did think what u said in the other thread was alittle dis-respectful, but maybe i just misinterpreted what you were saying

ubeaut

Quote from: upthemaidens on April 06, 2012, 11:19:22 PM
Quote from: ubeaut on April 06, 2012, 11:08:52 PM
thats cool man, just playin with ya...  i did think what u said in the other thread was alittle dis-respectful, but maybe i just misinterpreted what you were saying
Yeah I think alot of people misinterpreted what I was trying to say. At the end of the day I blame myself and don't want other inexperienced SCers to make the same mistake. I respect experienced SCers and their advice if it's well intended,but when it comes to the crunch you gotta back yourself and use your own footy knowledge.

tor01doc

Shiel - over his surgery and ready to explode - at least I hope so.

We still love you beaut!  :-*

Mat0369

Here are a few of my reasons for why I am thinking Hall or Smith.

I watched the Gold Coast game last week and Hall looked awesome running through the middle with the ball in his hands. The main problem I had with Hall is that he would handpass the ball to another running team mate instead of kicking it himself. I think the case with all rookies is that you pick and hope they score well. Rookies are not proven commodities at AFL level. Just because they scored well at TAC level or in a lower league does not mean they will score well at AFL level. The guys that are coming in and scoring well are the more mature guys (Magner so far this season, Barlow, Broughton, Duigan, Curnow, Lower) or the younger guys with mature bodies (Clay Smith, Libba). Smith is more likely to hit the scoreboard and looks to have a mature build and Hall is an older rookie. They will be more suited to adapt quickly compared to Shiel who is trying to adjust to the pace of the game after not playing any pre season games. Right now I am looking at they will probably all average around the same (60ish). Shiel playing in the mids will have a higher potential later on.