Worth burning a few trades to get structure right? Please advise

Started by Hawks_1976, April 06, 2012, 03:32:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawks_1976

Normally when giving advise to others I generally say save your trades.
However I am an advocate of early trades to get the right cash cows and structure.
I remember a couple of years ago prior to R3 I brought in Pods and Rockliff for my forward bench.
I never picked them at the start, firstly because Rockliff wasn't named R1 and I thought Pods would go back to the rookie list.
Both ended up as keepers both averaging around 90 from memory.

With this rant behind me, I seek advise on my team below.
Please feel free to offer advise on how this could be improved but below is an idea I am pondering.

My team is :

B : Birchall, Carrazzo, Broughton, Waters, Malceski, Golby, Ellis ( Bugg, Morris )
M : Ablett, Swan, Rockliff, Watson, McCarthy, Manger ( D.Smith, Shiel )
R : Hale, Giles ( Redden, Stephenson )
F : Franklin, Fyfe, Martin, Sidebottom, J.Riewoldt, Porplyzia, A.Kennedy ( Hall, Zorko )

Cash: $500 , ranked about 8000th after R1.

Considering the following and appreciate feedback:

Before lockout tomorrow. Out : D.Smith , Stephenson. In : C.Smith, T.Campbell.
This is just to generate cash for the following week prior to price rises. I think Orren will get dropped personally.

Next week. Out : Golby, Ellis. In : Dempsey, Bower.

Got caught in the hype of Golby's preseason numbers. After last night there was also talk of Drummond returning. This would spell more lockdown roles for Golb you'd think. I could just switch Golby to Dempsey for 1 trade. Golby's breakeven is around 37 which doesn't put him in good stead to make much cash.
On the flip side was impressed by Bower, played loose across half back, used it well and I think he would be ahead of Russell and Tuohy in the 22. In 2009 he averaged 86 in 20 games. Word is he trained the house down preseason.

So to get both Dempsey and Bower in I'd need to find about 26k.

This could also be done by bringing Broughton down to some one like Heppell?? I do want to back Broughton in though.

Trading out D.Smith & Orren only to get the cash. I do rate D.Smith, thought he played a great game preseason against the Hawks.

What to do is the big question?

Outside of this I wouldn't plan on trading again until approx R7/8 when some of the cows had fattened.

Thanks in advance!

Maca24

Trading Orren is pointless, even if he does get dropped you may as well just leave him on the bench.
Devon Smith will bounce back IMO, so best to leave him.
Your team looks great, no point burning those trades pointlessly.
If you really want Clay Smith then maybe trade Zorko to him but I'd wait 1 more week incase Smith spuds it up.

DazBurg

you got the exact same ruck setup as me

here's hoping big hale tears up against the cats ;)

personally i see what your saying but i would not burn 4 trades just to get dempsey and bower

i had bower in my side most preseason till i kicked him out though i turned him into birchall i think so can't complain or was it broughton

either way and dempsey i'm a mad bombers fan but personally i wouldn't go there
good player can get scores
also usually the rule of thumb is not to bring in someone who had a knee reco the year before because usually the first year but is finding there way a little bit

nostradamus

l think D.Smith to C.smith is a waste of a trade, your reasoning is based on only 1 game, admittedly Clay was very impressive but both look like being very good players, so l'd hold off on that one.

l can understand your thinking with Golby & Ellis(l have them too) and your reasoning behind wanting to trade in Bower & Dempsey. At least with Bower you have 2 games to look at, the only real concerns are ongoing fitness and his JS once Jamieson and Duigan return.

lf you are really set on wanting to trade l would suggest only doing 1......Golby down to Bower,that way you will have some cash in the bank for a future upgrade, and on the face of current form will be improving your point scoring.

But, of course as with all things DT this could all turn around very quickly.

Personally l am still undecided, l can see the value in Bower, but really want to try and have faith in my original selections

mpollock

I am fully supportive of trading early especially to get your structure right ... however your trades do not change your structure!

Golby for Dempsey ... both mid priced players who will be inconsistent ... just because Dempsey started well doesn't mean he will do that every week.

Ellis for Bower ... Bower is a high risk player (lots of Carlton defenders coming back soon!!) ... would prefer Ellis who is cheaper and looks like the tigers are going to give him a real chance this year ... poor first game but still named on the ground for round 2.  Ellis also has exellent disposal (potential to take kick ins proves this) ... just needs to get used to the speed of the game.

If anything you should look at Golby for a rookie like Mohr and use the money to upgrade another mid pricer for a premium.  That would improve your structure.

Must my opinion, good luck!  :)

mpollock

Manbearpig

Quote from: mpollock on April 06, 2012, 04:16:07 PM
I am fully supportive of trading early especially to get your structure right ... however your trades do not change your structure!

Golby for Dempsey ... both mid priced players who will be inconsistent ... just because Dempsey started well doesn't mean he will do that every week.

Ellis for Bower ... Bower is a high risk player (lots of Carlton defenders coming back soon!!) ... would prefer Ellis who is cheaper and looks like the tigers are going to give him a real chance this year ... poor first game but still named on the ground for round 2.  Ellis also has exellent disposal (potential to take kick ins proves this) ... just needs to get used to the speed of the game.

If anything you should look at Golby for a rookie like Mohr and use the money to upgrade another mid pricer for a premium.  That would improve your structure.

I agree with the above. Mohr uses the ball well and has good job security. You could get Mohr and Bower for Golby and Morris and that would probably be better than using four trades. Bower IS a risk, but could very well make you $200k.

Bones Bombers

Quote from: mpollock on April 06, 2012, 04:16:07 PM

Agree with these comments!
Forget Bower he's not in their best 22.
Ellis should get plenty of games and will get better.
I like the idea of Golby to someone like Mohr and then trying use the cash to get another true premium as soon as possible!
Like your thinking mpollock!

mpollock

Thanks  :)

Just did a similar thing and turned two mid pricers into a premium and rookie.
Very high risk premium in Stanton which not many will agree with but I'm ok with that ... I like the POD from the top teams who all have Thompson as their 4th gun in the mids ... and the extra cash will come in handy.