Tagging?

Started by ReltonR, April 03, 2012, 02:18:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReltonR

Hey all,

Im new to AFL and Dream team..Been over from NZ for 4 years and have found that AFL s***s all over Rugby Union and Rugby League!
So anyway..after a few years of watching and trying to work out everything, I have found one thing I am still confused about...Tagging.

So my question is..How do you know if someone will get tagged in a game? are there guys that ALWAYS get tagged? or do some get tagged when they play some teams, while when they play others they are able to run free??

Also, is there anywhere I can find out if a particular player will get tagged on the weekend?

Appreciate any info.

ReltonR

upthemaidens

theres no way of knowing who will get tagged until the game starts.  normally its a dangerous mid-fielder or rebounding defender.  some players are more influenced by tags i.e. ablett,judd etc. are basically untaggable,  where as a guy like heath shaw struggle.  and it also depends on how good of a tagger a team has(or 2) and also can depend on particular opponants, some players/taggers have greater success over certain players..

and also a tag may be made during a game to shutdown a player who is having alot of influence on a game. 
dont know if that answers your question or not

kilbluff1985

Cant really find out who will get tagged or not but players that get tagged more often i guess would be Pendlebury, Swan, M.Murphy, Judd, S.Mitchell, Rockliff

heaps of others i could mention all the gun players clubs will generally try to tag but they don't have much affect i would not really worry about it but some clubs have better shutdown players then others but it's impossible to tell for sure who will get tagged because even if a player gets tagged in the 1st quater another might be doing well so they might switch and tag the other player

JamSainter

Players most likely to get tagged:
Swan, Goddard, Pendles, Shaw, Yarran, S. Black, Griffen... (usually the most damgaging midfeilder in a team)
Best taggers: Reilly (ADEL), Jones (STK), Picken (WB), Carrazzo (CARL), McPhee (FREM) and M. Thomas (PORT)

JT23

maybe someone can write a list of taggers for him so he can work it out from there? Im at work atm so dont have the time but thinking this would help..

Adma Mcphee Fremantle
Aaron Joseph Carlton
Heath Hocking essendon
etc etc etc

JT23

Quote from: JamSainter on April 03, 2012, 02:38:52 PM
Swan, Goddard, Pendles, Shaw, Yarran, S. Black, Griffen... (usually the most damgaging midfeilder in a team)
Best taggers: Reilly (ADEL), Jones (STK), Picken (WB), Carrazzo (CARL), McPhee (FREM) and M. Thomas (PORT)

attaboy  :)

Slashers

Quote from: ReltonR on April 03, 2012, 02:18:31 PM
... and have found that AFL s***s all over Rugby Union and Rugby League!

Hell yea!!!!!....  Just had to say that.

esquire

I just like this guys name. "ReltonR". Maybe Relton is looking for tips to break back into the AFL after his dismal first up effort...

JamSainter

Quote from: esquire on April 03, 2012, 03:07:45 PM
I just like this guys name. "ReltonR". Maybe Relton is looking for tips to break back into the AFL after his dismal first up effort...
aahhh please. 1 go was enough for Relton!

crabapples

Clitonn jones, brad sewell, scott selwood, play tagging roles. A taggers isnt exactly a posstion like a rover, ruck rover ect. Its a role to play during the game and tactical so ur not really going to be told before the game, cameron ling was probly the best :) the taggers role is to shower down their opponent. As long as their opponent dosnt get a kick they hav done their job and played a great game even if they havnt touched the ball themselves! (obviousley better if they can snag a few possesions or goals)

Hope my rant is somewhat helpfull

crabapples

ReltonR

Hey guys! thanks for all the replies!

I noted that Black is one of the players that gets tagged....shame the Dees didnt know about this!

And as for my name...I fell in love with Big Relton in my 1st year of watching AFL...I just loved it how he tanked out after the 2nd quarter! made a massive run down the boundary line only to put up his hand to the trainer to say im fooked!!

Anyway guys much appreciated!!

Relton!

Grannyboy

Quote from: JamSainter on April 03, 2012, 02:38:52 PM
K.Cornes?? He's been one of the best for years...when primeass decides to play him.
Coaches can occasionally throw a gun on another gun as a tagging role, I seem to remember Gibbs shut down Goddard last year and had one of his best scores for the year doing it, God copped a hiding that day.