liam shiels

Started by me, December 29, 2011, 09:06:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

me

anyone give this kid a chance of upping his avg to 110+ alah tom rockliff? dt god written all over him, and has had a cracking preseason by all reports so far

i think hawks are very likely to finish top 2 and push for the flag this year, and if they do, u'd think he'd be a big part of it next year

i am really tempted by this guy (it's either him, scotty t or brycelett for my 4th or 5th mid spot)

Colliwobblers

good question, spending 500K on him is the hitch, he averaged 102 i think roughly no reason he won't get better or at the very least maintain it. not sure if he will be a god, there is a lot of talent in that midfield with hodge in form and mitchel lewis and sewell running around, do the number of gun players in a sides midfield help a midfielder dt wise or hinder?

owenbond007

i woulnt waste me time hawks be lucky to make 8 that squad is like a yoyo

chatters24

Will be a super unique simply because no one really knows whether last year was his "break out" year or simply a one off. NAB Cup may tell more. I would take a chance though possibly....

Off Tap

I was lucky enough to have him last year and he was one of the reasons why I finished where I did. He dropped off badly in the last 6 - 8 games but before that he was ave about 107 - 108.

When the Hawks get into that game mode of chipping it around the half back line Shiels would often pick up those easy stats as he was one of the go to guys due to his elite kick. I remember 1 game he had about 80 points after about 30 mins (only finshed with 120 for the game).

If the Hawks intend to use the same game plan this year I think he can definately increase his ave with the added fitness he will get this pre-season. The only drawback is the price tag this year, he's not $200k like last year.

I thought about him this year again but will stick with the Swan, Pendles, Boyd, GAJ, Murf, Selwood type premo's instead.

He will be an unique pick though that should go OK.

me

yeah i was kicking myself last year when i didn't take risks on people that i thought would go well, so i'm definitely going to take a (small) risk on him this year... i personally think this guy will only get better, he seems like basically a hawthorn version of tom rockliff, can get huge dt scores with sub 30 possessions due to high mark and tackle counts... and on top of that he's having a huge preseason xD

Off Tap

When I read about his preseason it got me thinking again. He definately has the ability to get to the 110 ave but it relies alot on the Hawks gameplan of chipping it around the back half where he was picking up a heap of cheapies.

theflyinghawk

Even IF he gets up to that 110 average, there will still be plenty too many guys above him for mine

Windigo

Quote from: theflyinghawk on January 07, 2012, 01:01:44 PM
Even IF he gets up to that 110 average, there will still be plenty too many guys above him for mine

+1. A good pick last year, doesn't automatically warrant we all pick him up this year. He could well up his average. But then again he might stay at about 100. A safer option is Sammy Mitchell.

the flying hawk

me being a i think hawthorn supporter Liam sheils is going to be one of hawthorns future stars his ability to win the ball and use it well is why he has been able to keep his spot in the side

me

Quote from: Windigo on January 07, 2012, 01:49:21 PM
Quote from: theflyinghawk on January 07, 2012, 01:01:44 PM

+1. A good pick last year, doesn't automatically warrant we all pick him up this year. He could well up his average. But then again he might stay at about 100. A safer option is Sammy Mitchell.

yeah, but i think sammy mitchell has hit his ceiling and won't improve that average, whereas a slutty dt player like shiels who gets lots of tackles and marks is far more likely to (imo), especially as i rate the hawks a good chance of winning the flag this year. the thing that bugs me off with sam mitchell, a bit like scotty t, is they tend to take an enormous amount of possessions to get a largeish dt score, and to add to that, mitchell and/or hodge will always get the tags while shiels runs free

elephants

Risky as he hasn't got anything to back up his one good season. Very good Point of Difference if he comes off though!!