Anthony Miles/Stephen Clifton

Started by nichsa673, January 03, 2012, 11:49:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nichsa673

Anthony Miles and Stephen Clifton are both mature age recruits at GWS. They both had really good years in the NEAFL competition, as shown by the Prospectus sneak peak not to long ago. But do you think that one or both of them will play the majority of matches this season, and out of the two, who would you pick. We saw how good the mature age recruits were last year like Stanley and Iles, do you think similar outputs could be produced by these players?

meow meow

Stanley and Iles both had AFL experience so I wouldn't compare these guys to them.

nichsa673

I wouldnt really call 5 games AFL experience

Rolder

I wouldn't really call a 19 year old a "mature age recruit".  Yes it means he is not coming in as an 18 year old ... but "mature age" ?  I guess it would be opening a "can of worms" to talk about what "mature age" means and when it kicks in, but I'd be thinking someone should probably be 21 years old before being classed as a "mature age recruit" !

Ringo

Just watch their performances in the NAB Cup and then whether they are named in GWS team.  It will be interesting to see how many actually make the Team given their recruitment of later years players Power, Cornes, Brogan and McDonald.

demon_spud

Going to be a lot of Rotations in GWS midfield.  And there is a lot of talent to slot in there.  Stanley was good as he was labelled a Backman, mature and GCS needed experience there, though he did move forward and start scoring  :)

Illes was a good round 7/8 upgrade when Curnow went down.

Both Iles and Stanley had previous 'very limited' AFL experience playing at Pies, Clifton and Miles do not.

I'm more than likely going for other rookie midfielders than those at GWS though I do have a couple shortlisted to see how 'mature' their bodies are in the NAB.

Not sure how well the NAB will help choose GWS midfielders since even then they will be rotated a lot as the team gets settled for the pumping that Sydney will give them come rnd 1.

GWS Midfield list:
Clifton(25), Coniglio(19), Darley(19), Greene(19), Growden(19), Hampton(19), Kennedy(20) McDonald(36), Miles(20), Palmer(23), Power(32), Reid(23), Schulz(20), Scully(21), Shiel(19), Smith(19), Sumner(19), Townsend(19), Treloar(19), Tyson(19), Ward(20). [from fanfooty position list]

Scully, Power, Ward, Palmer & Reid(?) are more than likely to play all season, then you need to find the fillers.

Better cash cows who look to hit their BE sooner as they will play more games earlier is my current thought, though the mid season bye throws the spanner in.

Kuruki

There is going to be some popular GWS mid rook's that get bugger all game time and cause some headaches before round 11.

charliesheen

Didn't realize McDonald was 36 :O.  He turning 37 next year?

tferrier18

Quote from: nichsa673 on January 04, 2012, 12:21:26 AM
I wouldnt really call 5 games AFL experience

Doesn't matter - they had both been in the system for a few years so they're used to training loads and know the expected fitness levels etc.

Even though Miles/clifton are "mature aged", they're still pretty much kids coming into the afl.

damnfunky

last year it was pretty straight forward...heppell, swallow, libba...the abundance of rookie choice should make teams a bit different....and makes it so important to pick the right rookies :)

tferrier18

Quote from: damnfunky on January 06, 2012, 09:28:14 PM
last year it was pretty straight forward...heppell, swallow, libba...the abundance of rookie choice should make teams a bit different....and makes it so important to pick the right rookies :)
This time last year there was an abundance of rookie choices as well...they all get filtered out during NAB cup & practice matches though.

Once the NAB cup & NAB challenge scores come out you'll see that there's only a few decent choices in each position and everyone will jump on the pretty much the same ones

liamgray

all you are look for in your rooks is JS, got burnt bad with GC last year so staying away from most GWS players

tferrier18

Quote from: liamgray on January 07, 2012, 05:24:58 AM
all you are look for in your rooks is JS, got burnt bad with GC last year so staying away from most GWS players
Not entirely true..last year I had Mckernan - he played 12 of the first 14 games but his avg was so shi* that it was infuriating when i had to play him because he scored like crap but also infuriating when he was on my bench because he made barely any cash.

JS is important but they have to score at least 60 to be decent backups and cash cows

jasonweare

Quote from: tferrier18 on January 07, 2012, 12:53:56 PM
Quote from: liamgray on January 07, 2012, 05:24:58 AM
Not entirely true..last year I had Mckernan - he played 12 of the first 14 games but his avg was so shi* that it was infuriating when i had to play him because he scored like crap but also infuriating when he was on my bench because he made barely any cash.

JS is important but they have to score at least 60 to be decent backups and cash cows

+1 McKernan was a pain in the butt, and just sat on the bench till the end of the year.