how bad of an idea is it staring either giles or stephenson

really bad
1 (50%)
good
1 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Holz

Quote from: jamster on December 20, 2011, 11:47:27 PM
Hey lads, interesting strategy, it basically depends on whether you think giles or stephenson can average highly.

What are everyone's thoughts on leuenbeger with Hudson in the mix. And also what are everyone's thoughts on T West

they dont have to average highly they just need to do as well as the other rookies. Just because you only have 2 pots doesnt mean they cant be a rookie like you play in the forward line.

CuStArDaRm

There is some merit starting one of them in the ruck however............

The issue isn't just losing points I agree I'd rather have say Maritn forward scoring well too but the ruck position is unique because there is only 4 spots.

So basically if your strategy dosn't turn out so well what options do you have? you will have to trade or deal with showerty scores.
Whereas in the mids/backs/fwds you have more flexibilty in starting rookies wih Dpp and just the pure nature of the ruck position not scoring well early on.

You know that the other posis will bring out some rooks who will score quite well off the bench, the ruck rooks as we all know take longer and dont often have starter qualities like say a Barlow in the mids.

Even with someone like Zac Smith being so great out of the blocks and probably up their as one of the best he wasnt worthy of starting spot from the word go as oppposed to picking him to start over say Heppell or Curnow.

Might pay off but personally id rather go with a rook in another position to start on the ground.

CuStArDaRm

Quote from: Holzman on December 21, 2011, 12:12:15 AM
Hey lads, interesting strategy, it basically depends on whether you think giles or stephenson can average highly.

What are everyone's thoughts on leuenbeger with Hudson in the mix. And also what are everyone's thoughts on T West

they dont have to average highly they just need to do as well as the other rookies. Just because you only have 2 pots doesnt mean they cant be a rookie like you play in the forward line.
Are they rookie priced? If they are md piriced then you want them to score like a prem not a rook coz then basically your wasting your money might as well get a rook.

Jukes

All I want in a rookie ruckman is that they can play to get that 60 points that can turn an average 2140 into a super 2200. I'm likely going with Leuenberger, Giles, Stephenson and a rookie, any help on a rookie I can get for that fourth ruck spot (my history with fourth rucks is terrible: my one in 2010 did an ACL early on in his first match (don't recall his name), and last year I had Joel Tippett! To go McIntosh and 3 rooks is a bad choice imo, you want at least 1 ruckman who you can call upon to average upwards of 95.

Fyfe_gun

I am going to start Giles. He has great job security and should play out most of the season. I was spewing I didn't start Zac Smith last year. Not only does it free up cash at the start of the year it gives you a swap later in the year where you might only have to add 50k to get cox if you get your timing right. 2012 is the perfect year to play Bargain ruck because of Stephenson on the bench for cover. Then you can play your fourth bench as one of Cordy, Jenkins, Redden or mature age Hawks rookies depending on who is going to get games.

demon_spud

With the byes choosing the right ruck combo is going to save you trades.  Currently I have McEvoy and Mumford with O and Giles?!? Haven't SS'ed side vs byes as yet. And not interested in forking out top cash for Cox who will drop 100-200k in his first 7 weeks anyway when the magic number levels prices out, i.e. last year.  (Starting prices are inflated and only true prems deserve that price, GAJ, Swan, Pendles? Goddard from years past), also Cox aging and Nic Nat steadily on the rise.

I'm considering to play two seasons this year, one to keep me without the '0's for the byes but competitive, and then the run home.

Will be choosing players from teams that have the best run into byes and then later trade them for those with the better run home, (except for those true prems I will build this team around)

Having Giles who averaged 115(SC, I know this is DT) last year and the Big 'O' considered the best ruck outside of AFL and most likely top 10 in AFL isn't a bad thing.

This is current train of thought, though of course this most likely will change once the seasons get closer and NAB performances are on and always good to get a discussion of ideas than just saying 'no' or 'stupid'

Colliwobblers

i was hell bent on sandi again this year, but all the smart money seems to be on looeyburger.

I am running the common due of bench rucks but am risking hmac on the ground.

thats as risky as i'll be initially i wanted sandi and macevoy but hmac is just too good a money saver and potential scorer or cash cow too pass up.

Phasir

I'm totally for this bargain ruck strategy, I'm just having difficulty finding that 4th ruck.. best I can find is Rowe because of the comments from the blues about him shaping to line up in Rnd1.  :-\
anyone else got a 4th rookie ruck?

owenbond007

Quote from: Phasir on December 28, 2011, 06:09:41 AM
I'm totally for this bargain ruck strategy, I'm just having difficulty finding that 4th ruck.. best I can find is Rowe because of the comments from the blues about him shaping to line up in Rnd1.  :-\
anyone else got a 4th rookie ruck?

Im not sure a 4th ruck is necessarily worth worrying about. I had Mccauley as my 4th ruck last year and he didnt play enough games to warrant a upgrade. I got by with 3 just fine in cox sandy smith. This year atm i got Mcevoy Giles Orren and a dud in staley using that extra 13K elsewhere. Might not seem like much but if i can only use 1 trade (ie my rucks stay injury free and r first choice) ill have 23 trades for upgrading the rest of my side.

I find it hard to see Rowe getting much of a go with Warnock Kruezer Hampson prob a mile in front in the rucking department, unless they plan to use him purely as a forward or a sub (if sub not a real good cash cow).

Colliwobblers

maybe one of the adelaide rooks could get some game time? who they got other than jacobs? you would think one of them would get the gig of sharing ruck duties if only to rest jacobs

Phasir

"It wouldn't surprise to see former Sydney Swans rookie Sam Rowe featuring in Carlton's senior side reasonably early in 2012. The 24-year-old, who spent the last four seasons at SANFL club Norwood, has played out of the goalsquare during match practice and given a good account of himself."

I think think Kreuzer & Rowe will be Forwards this year with Warnock being the main ruck, but they would both rotate through there to give him a breather.

from http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/127524/default.aspx

Colliwobblers

one to watch he is a popular choice in most of the teams i have seen with 3 rookie rucks

Lions01

Brisbane will definitely play 2 ruckman this year, Voss has stated this a few times. Leuenberger got alot of his score out of hitouts, so i would say this number will decrease. On the flipside he'll be developing his around the ground play and with the occasional stint in the forward should more than make up for a few lost hit outs.

With the Modern game Ruckman are starting to play a huge part in fantasy, with last year Ruckman lifting many of their averages Leuy, Mummy Goldy McEnvoy couple that with Smith dominating as a Rookie this strategy is very attractive this year.

The positive is your playing the best Rookie Ruckman vs maybe the 2nd or 3rd best Rookie in the Mids/Backs/For (As the money you save would be used to upgrade this Rookie to a premium)

The negative is that you could potentially lose a lot of money with 4th Ruckman not making as much as the additional Rookie elsewhere, I was able to downgrade Smith for alot of Cash last year which really kick started my upgrading. For this reason I'm leaning to go with the tried and true "Set and Forget" and potentially use Giles as downgrade option after Byes, this gives better coverage throughout byes andan extra person to downgrade.

Hippo

Quote from: Phasir on December 28, 2011, 02:24:03 PM
"It wouldn't surprise to see former Sydney Swans rookie Sam Rowe featuring in Carlton's senior side reasonably early in 2012. The 24-year-old, who spent the last four seasons at SANFL club Norwood, has played out of the goalsquare during match practice and given a good account of himself."

I think think Kreuzer & Rowe will be Forwards this year with Warnock being the main ruck, but they would both rotate through there to give him a breather.

from http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/127524/default.aspx
I think your spot on