HarveysFlyers#35 - First Time AFL Dream Teamer

Started by HarveysFlyers#35, November 23, 2011, 12:48:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarveysFlyers#35

Morning All

I think its time i got serious about this fantasy football craze...played Supercoach last year and had an ok season (top 1200) - speaking with a few mates, they have talked me into having a crack at the AFL Dream Team in 2012. Although only one of i'm sure many attempts before Round One 2012, below is my first attempt of some sort of team;

BACKS
Goddard (B/C)  Gibbs (B/C)  Deledio   S Fisher  H Hartlett  Buntine  Docherty - S Morris  /  L Brown

MIDS
Pendlebury  Ablett jnr  J Selwood  Barlow  Treloar  D. Shiel -  W. Hoskin-Elliott (F/C)  /  T. Bugg (C/B)

RUCKS
S. Mumford  M. Leuenberger   -  T West  /   Giles

FOWARDS
Fyfe (F/C)  L Franklin  T Cloke  J Brown  Porplyzia  Saad  D Zorko  -  B Smedts (B/F) /  G. Ugle (F/C)

Salary Ramaining = Around $16,900

I know alot of people read the posts on these websites and don't provide and reply/feedback (hey i know everyone has a life outside of Fantasy Footy), but if anyone can spare a few minutes your expert feedback will be much appreciated.

Voldemort

Backs: Pretty standard backline. Fisher ... I have him too, but when the season starts I probably won't.

Mids: Top three are super guns, Barlow, fair pick seeing as he has a decent discount. I'd play HE over one of the other rookies on your field.

Rucks: Mumford and Leu could potential be the most chosen ruckmen in the comp.

Fwds: Again, top three are standard guns, Brown and Porps are seriously injury prone, watch out.

A clean first draft, not too many surprises. I would like to see a few uniques here and there, but overall a solid team  :)

8/10 for solidness

8/10 for good premiums

5/10 for uniqueness

HarveysFlyers#35

Cheers Voldemort for your feedback..certainley is appreciated.  In answer to your points below, here are my thoughts behind the selections;

Backs
Agree - Very Standard Top 3 Backline players which i can't see anyone goining past in there initial squad - I see S Fisher having a super year with new coach Scotty Watters playing a more open free-flowing game than R Lyon.  Was considering B Lake, but ended up chosing H Hartlett - this kid is a potential superstar, so if pre-season form goes to plan he could be the diamond in the pack. 

The other player i will be closely monitoring for a unique pick is Nathan Bock - a marking machine in the Gold Coast Backline who acts as their Quarterback...he is masterful of running off big lazy Full Forwards.

Midfield
No explanation needed with Top 3 Midfielders - M Barlow is a bit of a punt, but i see sides paying more attention to S Hill and D Mundy from the Dockers - was tossing up between he and L Hayes as my mid pricer - although i am a massive Saints fan, Lenny is coming off an ACL and is 30+...again, pre season will determine final selections.  Either selection will be initially used as points in the bank, and will then be used as upgrade targets to a D Swan or M Murphy type.

Rucks
Potentially the two highest scoring Ruckman in 2012 - I see Leu as quickly becoming the No.1 Ruckman in the AFL - superstar.  My only query on Mumford is his durability (and his tendancy to sling tackle) - we're all hopeing he has got on top of this and continues to monster teh opposition.

Forwards
Definatley my biggest concern - with Fyfe / Franklin / Cloke no-brainers, i'm banking on Jono Brown and Porps having a massive pre season to alleviate any concerns.  Although they may seem to be injury prone, the one saving grace is that they weren't reaccuring soft tissue injuries - more freakish / structural injuries which have hopefully been rectified by the surgery - the word out of the Crows is that the Porps is flying and would need to hit a truck for his shoulder to pop out again....will be using these two has upgrade pawns latter into the season

I'm not really sold on players like Sidebottom or Zarharakis as yet....i will be monitoring these type of players as potential upgrades througout the season.  Though i'm sure one of my first upgrade targets will be A Goodes - really did toy with idea of starting him - but he normally has a slow start to the year but as the season heats up, so does the Goodes Train.

I suppose thats the beauty of the game - although sides will have a similar structure initially, teams will be seperated by those risky / unique selections...the difference between top 100 and top 1000 is few injuries here and there. 

Anyways, all the best for the season Voldemort....reading the rest of the threads, you are one of the few readers who do provide some constructive feedback on teams/topics - this is certainley appreciated by novices like me.

Cheers

Voldemort

Nicely written up, solid case you have put up for everyone.

I'm a bit of a novice too  ;D

Just trying to improve my game

egosbar

firsts things first

apparently the cap will be around the 8.78 million not what fanplanner is saying , same as last year , so you should make your team using that cap , that way you can always improve if the cap is higher , if you have to make your team worse when the afl launch it seems like your team is so crap and you change change change

my side is still over the cap but i have players i want to look at and multiple choices to downgrade lowmid to rookie

i should come in about the right cap

my downgrade choice will be either lake or conners to rookie saving at least 100k
so although your side looks ok , get some more coin in the bank

stew42

Quote from: Voldemort on November 23, 2011, 01:18:51 PM

Brown and Porps are seriously injury prone, watch out.

Can Brown really be blamed for his injuries last year? A knee to the face, cut him some slack!

Torpedo10

I would cut down on GWS rookies especially in the Midfield. Grigg, Wingard, Kavanagh or Clay Smith