paul stewart

Started by The F.A.R.K., January 23, 2012, 02:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The F.A.R.K.

I know he plays for a shower club and he hasnt played many games in last couple of years but hear me out

If you know your footy you would know that Matty Lobbe is injured (and Brent Renouf has a minor injury) meaning Port will be relying on their other talls around the ground for some ruckwork. Justin Westhoff is a main contendor, Jackson Trengove another, But Paul Stewart (at only 191cm) is strongly rumored to do some tap work this year. While he might not win many hit outs it means he will be playing up the field a bit more.

Then to add to this I read an article in the Paper about Stewart training with Rehn on his around the ground ruckowrk and how he is going to play pernamnet wing and use his height and leap, as well as strength to do boundaries along the wing and in defensive 50. He has put on 4kg in the off season and is aimimng for more. ATM he is around the 290k mark in DT and might be slightly overpriced but he has the potential to become an 80+ average player. Playing deep in the backlines he averaged 60s but now he has been training for a role up the ground so he will be finding plenty more of the footy. Rehn says his main strengths are his upper body strength and his speed. He has a strong over head mark and he will be using his strength in boundary throw ins. Add to that his speed at 191cm and he becomes a very valuable wingman.

While his price may be just a bit steep I think it will be important just to see where he is playing in the NAB cup and how many ruck taps he is taking. It wont really matter how many points he gets in NAB just need to see where he lines up and wether he will run the wings because if he does I think he will secure my 5th defender spot as smokey.

If you look at last years big imrpovers I'd rate him similar to Stefan Martin and while martin has an extra 8cm on his frame, the talk of stewart playing wing as his full time position with possibilities as main ruckman he could be a big improver

The F.A.R.K.

anyone out there seeing what I am...not even PB???

picker_man

Unfortunantly i just dont see it FARK, renouf will be ready to play by round one and they have a 205cm decent rookie in redden who you would think they mite want to get early games into whilst lobbe is out for the 12 weeks. With stewart priced at 296k never adveraged over 67 dt points has never played a full season and wont win one hit out at 191cm just to risky and much better option in my opinion

Colliwobblers

i agree with everything you say and the club would be crazy not to take the punt and try develop him and give him the opportunity, just I cant take such a risk at such a price.

Point well made tho.

Master Q

Has a chance on paper but no point in taking him when there so many more options.

The F.A.R.K.

Well he is garunteed a spot on the wing at the least this year where as in previous years he has been deep in defence. He had shoulder surgery last year and his dodge shoulder is now fixed, and if he plays ruck for throw ins gives him oppourtunity to get up foward or down back as well. Im going for it he is in my team

PowerMan

He's a handy player, but not Fantasy Material.

frenchy

i think you've botched this whole post F.A.R.K. if you are talking about hit outs are u sure u aren't talking about daniel stewart the 200cm forward?! paul stewart is a hack midsized defender....