HP's Rookie Profiles: Liam Sumner

Started by Hellopplz, October 06, 2011, 12:44:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will You Be Blazing With Sumner Next Year?

Yes.
0 (0%)
No.
3 (37.5%)
Who Knows.
5 (62.5%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Justin Bieber

Name: Liam Sumner
Position: Outside Midfielder
Height: 178cm
Weight: 69kg

Sumner is touted as a round 1 pick, which is filled with alot of midfielders. Sumner is a speedy player who isn't afraid to run and carry, which makes him very dangerous as he isn't afraid to take the game on. It's this aggessive manner which teams like in a player. He's very damaging by foot with great skills with the ball and has alot of inside 50's with his penetrating kick. He relies on teammates handing him the ball which restricts the amount of possessions he can get, which is why he won't amass massive numbers in the midfield like many other draftees.

Playing for the Sandringham Dragons, Sumner's Stats show a usually very effective midfielder. He receives quite a few handballs and uncontested marks from teammates. He prefers to kick rather than handball which most outside midfielders do. His speed allows for some big tackling games which I like personally for a player. His possession counts don't crack 20 as often as possible, with only 5 out of 13 games really 20+. He also tends to receive alot of free kicks for teams trying to slow down the ball when it gets to him. I think anybody likes a midfielder who can kick goals, and with Sumner's big kick, he can kick goals which helps his fantasy potential. One of his games this season (against Gippsland Power) he managed a whopping 6 goals! :o.

Fantasy Relevant? For me no but doesn't mean he shouldn't be shortlisted. As a midfielder, it'll be very hard for me to fit him in. Yet as he is able to fit the needs of a team (Need For Speed) and kick goals, can mount a case for him to at least be on shortlisted. As he isn't a big possession man, DT may not be his game. His kick is great which leads me to think he'll turn out to be much more relevant in SC short term rather than DT. DT is a stats game which Sumner isn't exactly known for, but SC will take effectiveness into account which means he's more likely to score more there.