Main Menu

The (very likely) Scully aftermath

Started by Purple 77, September 05, 2011, 05:59:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Purple 77

No more hiding tommy, it is now the end of the season, the time when you said you would announce your future. We melbourne supporters have suffered for about 7 months on this decision and its time to come clean.
Well it doesn't take a genius to figure out that scully is very likely to go to GWS. So my question is. What will we do with the compensation? The AFL (who has been very helpful in moving Scully to GWS) has said what the compensation would be if melbourne were to lose Scully: 2 first round draft picks.

Do we use the picks as trade bait to other clubs and get much needed experienced players, especially midfielders?

do we use them in the drafts?

do we actually give GWS back the picks in exchange for two of the 4 prized under-17 picks that GWS MUST (not kidding, AFL has told them they must) trade to other clubs and get (if melb are very clever in selecting) the top two draft picks of the 2012 draft just a year early? 

What does everyone think?

BGK

For starters IMO Scully isnt worth 2 end of first round picks. If that's what Ablett is worth than Scully is less than that. In saying that they will get the 2 for him.

Next. I would be very surprised if one of those picks would be enough to get O'Meara in the mini draft. He is a potential number 1 draft pick and GWS will get a high pick and possibly a player for him. Also as far as I'm aware they don't HAVE to trade them. They just can't keep them. If they don't trade for them they will all enter the draft the following year and GWS gets nothing for them.

Melbourne would be mad not to save at least one trade for the following guests draft which is supposed to be the best in years

If a very good option was available for trade then go for it. Melbourne really needs solid body's out there.

Purple 77

yeah your right about those picks sorry. And yes melb really needs some solid, good quality players, especially midfielders. I know this may sound strange to some but melbourne do have a weak midfield. Then people would point out to me that melb have trengove, jones, moloney, sylvia, scully (maybe), gysberts and co, but really none of them (though some could) are superstars. Sure they are solid and dependable, but they cannot deliver an impact that could say win melb a game from behind or win a close game. This sort of player is no where to be seen (hopefully YET) in the melb line up and i strongly believe melb has to trade heavily in the trade week to acquire such players. Warnock has already said he wants to be traded (with good reason) and right there that is good trade bait for a club like GWS, GC, Port, Richmond who need a key defender, We could ask for a good midfielder along with something else like a draft pick and hey presto we could ask for a high profile player

Purple 77

Its friday and still no scully decision. Out with it tommy! I have actually drawn a little hope out of what happened the other day, GWS offered a final pitch to scully, an action they would not have done if he was leaning towards moving to GWS, meaning he could have been about to re-sign with melbourne. But that is all 'ifs' and 'coulds'. By the way, I am running a brownlow predictions  competition, if anyone is interested, come over here: http://www.fanfooty.com.au/forum/index.php/topic,42618.0.html

j959

sorry to say Purple, looks like you'll be getting an answer today in the negative ...   :(

Purple 77