All Time Fantasy Draft: Eras

Started by AFEV, October 24, 2011, 11:47:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

c4v3m4n

I've been wondering what your team looks like Daz.  ;)

c4v3m4n

Just did a few quick calculations and...

c4v3m4n's Titans Statistics

After removing Albert Thurgood and Horrie Gorringe from the statistics due to constant flucuations in data and missing data, this how my team stacks up statistically.

• Total Games: 6828
  • Average Games: 285
  • Total Goals: 9285
  • Average Goals: 387

• 86 Best and Fairest Medals
  • 62 Premiership Medallions
  • 324 State representative games
  • 45 All-Australian guernseys
  • 9 Brownlow Medals
  • 2 Magarey Medals
  • 7 Sandover Medals

Not bad...  ;D ;D

AFEV

I'll probably do a similar thing C4, if you don't mind of course.

Nice idea ;D

c4v3m4n

Quote from: Sid on November 21, 2011, 04:12:23 PM
I'll probably do a similar thing C4, if you don't mind of course.

Nice idea ;D

Go for it, I'd love to see the comparisons between teams.

I reckon my medal counts are a little low...though I didn't include all the secondary medals (Norm Smith, Tassie Medal, Simpson Medal etc.)...

AFEV

I'd count the Tassie Medal but probably won't with the Simpson/Norm Smith.

BratPack

So we're just waiting for Sid to make his last pick right?

AFEV

I'll take Ayres. Will put all the teams in the 3rd post on the front page for now and give everyone a week or so to do a 'team write-up' if they want to. If not that's good as well :)

BratPack

I'll do mine tomorrow....bad ankle....unwinding....been far too long since Drunk BP has shown  :P

BratPack

BratPack
FB: Geoff Southby, Peter Burns, Gavin Wanganeen
HB:Andrew McLeod, Glenn Archer, Walter Scott
C: Bill Hutchinson, Russell Ebert , Wilfred "Chicken" Smallhorn
HF: Alex Jesaulenko (vc), Dermott Brereton, George "Specka" Moloney
FF:Matthew Lloyd , Tony Lockett, Harry "Soapy" Vallence
R: Graham "Polly" Farmer (c), Dane Swan, Kevin Bartlett
INT: Merv McIntosh, Graham Arthur, John D. Daly, William "Nipper" Truscott
EMG: Tom Fitzmaurice, Jack Moriarty, Kevin Sheedy (Coach)

So this is the Brat Pack and I'm going to try and explain the strategy and thinking behind it and some of the more contentious selections on the team by breaking it down line by line

Full Backs - Geoff Southby, Peter Burns, Gavin Wanganeen
Burns is the one people may question. My #1 pick and locked in the Full Back slot the whole way because looking at his VFL record he doesn't seem to fit but he was the games first superstar in Victoria and as the draft went on Backs were at a premium so to just set and forget my key back spot was very important to me. Southby provides excellent back up in that regard and I was glad he fell to me when he did.

Wanganeen I knew I was going to take provided he was on the board about half way through the 1920's. He is the prototypical weapon, a solid defender who is just as valuable as an offensive player with his ability to break a game open. With the selection of Southby it just locked it in my mind and so I turned to Wanganeen over some more highly regarded players (Buckley, Scarlett, Fletcher).

Half Backs - Andrew McLeod, Glenn Archer, Walter Scott
Archer I'm glad to lock in and he makes a pretty decent CHB as he always did with North. McLeod is another offensive weapon that I just couldn't pass up at that spot, a special talent for a special team and I was relieved when C4 made my choice easy by taking Glen Jakovich the pick before mine. Scott was without a doubt the best player left on my board when my first pick in the '20s came up. Defenders were at a premium as I said and Scott was one of the best ever so I was delighted to lock him in.

Centres - Bill Hutchinson, Russell Ebert, Wilfred "Chicken" Smallhorn
Smallhorn is probably the one will question but he was a top player, a brownlow medalist that had to live in the shadow of Haydn Bunton and had his career cut short by the war, was a quality pick at that spot and I didn't need the nominal selection at that point: Laurie Nash, Smallhorn was #2 on my board so no hesitation.

Hutchinson was just too good to pass up at #2 in the 40's and Ebert fell criminally low, so even though I was desperate for backmen at the time I couldn't pass Ebert up where I took him so I gambled that C4 wouldn't take Southby with either of his two picks before the ball got back to me. I'll gladly match this line against any of the five others.

Half Forwards - Alex Jesaulenko (VC), Dermott Brereton, George "Specka" Moloney
I think Dermie's underrated as a Centre Half Forward and he's my darling pick here, providing both silky skills and great heart, he'll be my enforcer as well. Jezza goes without saying. I definately wouldn't have been upset with him at CHF but to match him with Dermie was just too irresistable. Moloney is one of those swingmen players I picked up. Small guys with big engines that can rotate through the midfield and also kick bags of goals. I love his "Double Threat" status.

Full Forwards - Matthew Lloyd, Tony Lockett, Harry "Soapy" Vallence
Pure power, pure talent, pure excitement, I admit I got the idea of this one late. Vallence wasn't even on my radar till he came up with my next to last pick but the thought of putting him beside Lockett and The Velvet Sledgehammer really appealed to me in the case of "Which one do you key on?". Any one of them could kill you. To put them together on one line makes them virtually unstoppable.

Rucks - Graham "Polly" Farmer (C), Dane Swan, Kevin Bartlett
I did think about it long and hard but I was never going to pass up "Polly" with the first pick of the 50's. You just can't, he is just head and shoulders above anyone else in the game ever in that position, nor was I ever in any doubt about giving him the captaincy, he deserves it for all he's done. Dane Swan was the nominal choice for me after Judd, just perfect for the team and for my plans, and Bartlett was too good to pass when he fell to me, the last official "Legend" on the board.

Interchange - Merv McIntosh, Graham Arthur, John D. Daly, William "Nipper" Truscott
McIntosh makes perfect sense to me as the backup ruckman and it made my ruck spot pretty much a set and forget early once I knew I was taking "Polly", I admit though his selection was also me playing a little game with my fellow drafters, I wanted them to think I might leave "Polly" on the board, don't get me wrong McIntosh was always the guy I was going to pick when Reynolds and Bunton were gone but the added bonus of maybe sowing the seed of doubt was good as well. Arthur seems like the odd one out but he's not really. He's another half forward target I can swing through the half forward line especially after Dermie gets suspended (Which he inevitably will). Daly was a perfect selection for me where he was taken and Truscott is another of the "Midfielders who can kick bags of goals" brigade.

Emergencies - Tom Fitzmaurice, Jack Moriarty, Kevin Sheedy (Coach)
I like Fitzmaurice's choice don't get me wrong, it allowed me to forget about my backline for a long time and focus on the players and parts I really wanted but as we got into the 90's and 2000's I started to second guess it just a little. I probably would have taken Jakovich if C4 hadn't and then when I had the opening choice of the free agent pool the idea hit me to take Archer. I'm not saying it's a wrong pick. If I don't take Fitzmaurice I don't get someone like Smallhorn or Moloney later because I would've been worried about my backline, but ultimately I just liked Archer better. Moriarty might be one people question, but he's an attacking goalsneak with a high leap. I was quite happy up until that next to last pick to roll with Moriarty in the forward pocket, it was just the spectre of the "Three Headed Monster" that appealed. Sheedy was a pure vanity pick. I needed a player and coach. Why not take the best?

Overall: I would gladly match my side against any of the others and be confident we could prevail, we have the players who know their roles, who can swing forward and kick goals and also keep things tight at the back when we need to, plus we have the master tactitian in the box making all the big calls. That's why I believe my team is the best team in this draft.