Main Menu

Coach Interview #6

Started by Cruiseon, August 02, 2011, 06:23:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cruiseon

Welcome back for edition six of Cruize News where we delve a little deeper into the lives of our fellow coaches. This week for the first time we head over West and catch up with one of our favourite Dockers, Valkorum. And if you are still wanting more after our chat, check out Valk weilding his base in the link at the end of the article.

Good evening Valk, thanks for coming aboard for the 6th edition of FF coaches interview. We've had coach perspectives from South Australia, Tassie & Victoria and Monty did some time in Sydney but as the first representative from the West, I'm curious as to how you view the AFL when you visit Mebourne and attend games compared to Perth? Are there many differences in the supporters?

Thanks Cruise, I am honored to be in the #6 edition of the FF coaches interview.  The atmosphere of footy in WA is just as intense as it is Victoria.  In my opinion Subiaco is the second best ground in the AFL behind the MCG.  When you have 40,000 at Subiaco the noise is relentless - especially from us wild WA supporters.  I have experienced 40,000 at Etihad and the atmosphere seems dulled and lifeless, although 90,000+ at the MCG is an experience all football supporters must experience at least once in their life.  The supporters are a lot more vocal in WA than in VIC which is strange considering they only sell mid strength beer at Subi (prob cos we spend 2 hours at the pub before going to the game)

You are a fanatical Freo supporter who, despite a few recent knocks is still playing football, why did you end up supporting the Dockers instead of the Eagles and before you supported Freemantle was their another AFL side for whom you had a fondness?

Both of my parents did not grow up supporting football so I didn’t get introduced to footy till I was about 12.  I happened to go to school with the daughter of Brian Peake and that is how I got in to football.  I started following the WAFL side East Fremantle which was who Brian was playing for.  In 1987 the Eagles joined the VFL so as a passionate WA boy I started following them but still my heart was with the Sharks. The 92 premiership for the Eagles was a great time as a supporter but the 94 was a bit hollow because of the announcement of the Dockers and I just knew that was my team and has been ever since.

Like many of my friends from Perth I'd classify you as quite a hardened character Valk. You are still playing tough football, you sound like a talented and experienced guitar player, there's the significant body art and the fondness for a beer. But with your work as an EDI Analyst Manager and general comments around FF you are clearly an intelligent guy. Is tough and smart a fair call on your character?

I am just a bloke that loves his beer (and vodka), footy and music.  My work is something that allows me to pay for my beer, music and footy.  I did go to uni to start my degree but I got distracted by the tavern on campus so I never finished my degree (deferred after 1 year).  I would say that I am common sense smart and enjoy having fun and a drink or 3.

As most will know you've taken on the role of moderator in the game chat area with Crowsfan and C4. Other than not taking the bait from some of the trolls how have you found the experience thus far and how much time have you been devoting to it? Also what advice do you have for younger FF members against cyber bullying and just keeping safe on-line?

It’s definitely been interesting taking on the role of moderator.  It’s amazing how many repeat offenders there are and how many actually get banned each week.  I try to work on common sense and if you are not following the rules then down comes the banhammer.  I haven’t really experienced cyber bullying so I am not sure I am the right person to be asking.  My only advice would be to be yourself and don't try to be cool or someone you're not (keyboard warrior) as you are not impressing anyone.  At the end of the day you will be known for what you say and what you do.  Be respectful and give respect where it is due.

Back onto to football, as we discussed you are a very passionate and always positive Freemantle supporter. I'd like to take you away from the class of 2011 and get you to name your favourite 3 Dockers who are no longer playing AFL and also get your to name your 3 favourite non-Dockers players of all time.

Peter Bell would clearly be my favourite Docker who is not playing.  I can’t believe we de-listed him..... actually, I can believe it - Neesham was a complete tool and the worst coach EVER in the VFL/AFL.

Shaun McManus.  Even though not blessed with ability, he was the hardest working player I have witnessed, he just bled Purple and Green.  He would do whatever was required to help the team.  If it meant standing in front of Plugga on a lead then he would have done it.

Shane Parker.  Mr consistent.  At only 187cm and a tad over 90kg he was undersized to be playing full back but every week he went about his business of stopping key forwards.  It didn’t matter if it was Lloyd, Plugga or Hall he did whatever was required to stop his opponent marking the ball and kicking goals.

My 3 favourite non Fremantle players would have to be James Hird, Brian Peake and Robert Harvey.  All 3 players just oozed class.

Let’s take a moment to combine two of your passions, music and football. I'm going to name 5 bands and I'd like you to nominate a player from any era and briefly explain why they suit each other.

The Pixies - Brett Peake
Both are shower... enough said

AC/DC - James Hird
The best.... FULLSTOP

Backstreet Boys - Nick Reiwoldt
Both are gay and soft as butter.

Radiohead - Jim Stynes.
When they debuted they were considered ordinary.  The more you watched/listened, the more you realised that they have a quality that was destined for success.

The Vines - Harry O'Brian
Both are decent but get caught up in helping others instead of concentrating on what they do best.

Finally Valk, as you know I don't think Fremantle can win the flag this year despite battling impressively through many challenging conditions in 2011. If however in 2012 everything clicks and the Dockers get the slice of luck required to win their inaugural flag, what outlandish claims or celebrations can we expect from your goodself?

There is bound to be a drunk naked run somewhere.  I should rock up to Andrew Embley's house going nuts like he did to me after the Eagles won the 2006 premiership (and he won the Norm Smith).  I will definitely be drunk posting on FF at some point.  The outlandish claim will be that FYFEY!!! will win the Norm Smith.

Thanks for your time Valk. All the best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOg2WG9KuuQ