SEN JUST reported that Bailey got sacked

Started by roo boys!, July 31, 2011, 09:57:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaHug

Quote from: c4v3m4n on August 01, 2011, 01:30:43 AM
Quote from: LaHug on August 01, 2011, 01:28:25 AM
Quote from: c4v3m4n on August 01, 2011, 01:24:30 AM
But how to punish the team?  :-\
I'd say to drop the entire team and play the Casey team instead but, despite the fact that it's not really within AFL rules, Casey was just as bad as Melbourne on Saturday.

You're not wrong. 31.6-192 Geelong def. Casey Scorpions 10.4-64.
Is there some kind of combined AFL/VFL margin record? Surely this broke it.

c4v3m4n

Quote from: LaHug on August 01, 2011, 01:32:53 AM
Quote from: c4v3m4n on August 01, 2011, 01:30:43 AM
Quote from: LaHug on August 01, 2011, 01:28:25 AM
But how to punish the team?  :-\
I'd say to drop the entire team and play the Casey team instead but, despite the fact that it's not really within AFL rules, Casey was just as bad as Melbourne on Saturday.

You're not wrong. 31.6-192 Geelong def. Casey Scorpions 10.4-64.
Is there some kind of combined AFL/VFL margin record? Surely this broke it.

Combined Geelong (68.17.425) defeated Melbourne/Casey (17.9.111). A collective margin of 314 points.  :o

It's most likely a record...

...the highest collective margins (for VFL/VFL reserves or AFL/VFL) I could find were...

• Carlton 43.38 (296) def. Melbourne/West Melbourne 5.7 (37) in Round 15, 1920. A collective margin of 259 points.
  • North Melbourne 51.53 (359) def. Melbourne 14.18 (102) in Round 22, 1983. A collective margin of 257 points.

And unfortunately, look at who is at the recieving end of those...  ::) :P

hawk_88

As for who I believe should coach Melbourne next year... For starters, they should look to promote someone from within the club. Have the strength and confidence to back one of there own for the top job, rather than getting a clean broom and head-hunting other assistant coaches. Therefore there are three choices....

...Todd Viney, Brian Royal or even Chris Connelly.

Why though? There clearly isn't much right happening within the ranks at Melbourne. Talk is that Connelly is going to get the flick as well so he is probably out. Viney has been at Hawthorn, Adelaide and Melbourne and yet is rarely mentioned as a contender for senior coaching roles so you have to question choosing him.

Then they should seriously look at persuading Paul Roos, Rodney Eade or even Alastair Clarkson (whose still yet to resign...  :o) into a senior assistant coaching role. I seriously admire what Essendon have done with their coaching ranks, and it should be a model seriously looked at for Melbourne.

Again, the strength of this setup at Essendon is because you have a coach who has no prior coaching experience (as a senior or assistant) and a past senior coach who didn't want the demands of the senior position any more as a mentor.

However, there isn't a great advantage to that set up should the new senior coach has prior experience as an assistant. Also, of those who you mentioned, Paul Roos said 2 days ago that he doesn't want to coach again. Eade expressed his desire to continue as a senior coach in AFL and why Clarkson would leave such a successful team as they are starting to peak for a job at a club in turmoil, in a lower position for considerably less money is beyond me.

Craig would be a suitable candidate for this sort of role but again I can't see the great advantage to it unless you have the novice coach. Maybe if Gary Lyon decided to take the job.

I agree with the OX's assessment which was that Melbourne has too readily taken on first time senior coaches. They need a coach who has coached before who has a bit of mongrel in him. Eade or Mark Williams would seem the perfect fit for Melbourne.

Nails

I'm sending in my resume to Melbourne for head coach later today... figure it can't get much worse than a 185 point flogging.

ajjewell

Jim Stynes body language wasn't real good today, I am wondering whether he got out voted by the board to sack Bailey immediately compared to waiting till the season was over

Windigo

23 wins & 80+ losses at winning rate of only 24%.  ::)

RiOtChEsS

honestly i cant see the downside in the sacking...

he wasnt going on next year and this could spur them on a bit to make finals...

win/loss wouldnt have been a major factor, progression and effort would have tho...