Starting GC defenders??

Started by Joshy11, January 19, 2011, 06:37:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joshy11

I have seen VERY few teams that have a GC rookie as there 7th defender. Why is no-one considering starting toy, coad or illes. They are cheaper than say a Heppell and surely a greater chance of playing considering they were played in the VFL last year comparred to a first year rookie that may be eased into it. If you have the mpp link or a solid bench the round 1 bye shouldnt be an issue. Especially with the price increses and greater back depth this could save teams some valuable cash. Ideas?

nas

Somewhere they are saying that Illes is a mid so that is awaiting conformation

McRooster

Rnd 2 Coad will be my 7th defender when Otten has the bye ;)

Joshy11

Why arent people considering starting 1 as a 7th defender for a lot of the year? Instead looking at rookies such as jacobs and heppell who are more expensive and in my opinion the GC boys have a greater chance of playing from start to end

valkorum

I think the backline will be the hardest place to win a spot in the GC lineup

Bock, Brown, Harbrow, Krakour - that only leaves 2 spots available.

McRooster

Maybe because mature players like Duigan, Lower and Puopolo are more match ready ?
Additonally the popularity of Jacobs means some GC backs may not get TOG in our DreamTeams.
Matera and Prestia up forward are in a lot of teams, and most have Swallow so the need to share the love may mean that GC backs don't neccessarily get a gig ;)

In the AFL Prospectus 2011, it has S. Iles (GC) listed as a mid. He is "still" listed in fanplanner as a Back? Why... It appears all other players in fanplanner are correct according to the prospectus.
At this satge I will be stating Toy as as my 7th back. I will definately have Iles in my back line if infact he is a back? 
Iles - 23 y/o & Coad - 27 y/o. These 2 are certainly match ready imo. Iles more likely to be a regular i reckon. Maybe why these 2 are not as popular as they perhaps should be is that  (as Mcrooster said) there are mamy other popular GC players and the backs don't get a gig.         

Hawka

i have toy and coad for GC but both will b on bench

rebird

Need to pick them in your team before knowing if they are going to play, because of the first round bye.

ShrewDext

Danny Stanley is a DEF and of a similar mould to Iles. An inside MID type I think.

dylsta05

Flemo

Bock CHB
Harbrow HB- he also wants to push up into midfield
Krakouer HB - he can push into midfield
Brown B-HB

I'm looking at Josh Toy seriously but not sure due to the round one bye. Who will play defence? Coad, Iles, Toy, Lock, Stanley amongst other names battling to join the above stars in the backline

MTTY

I reckon

Toy  Coad  Iles(even though he isnt listed as a defender)

Harbrow  Bock  Krakouer