Gaff vs Swallow

Started by tferrier18, January 03, 2011, 01:20:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tferrier18

This might be a bit early to start discussing (by the way, when does NAB start?)

For many coaches, fitting in Gaff and Swallow might be difficult so it might have to be one or the other. I've got a feeling gaff might just turn out a better sc player than swallow.

My reasons for this are as follows; Gaff's DT TAC cup average was 113 while Swallows vfl dt average was 65. I know there's obviously a massive difference between the two comps but even if gaff's score dropped by 30 points, he'd still be averaging 83. Their scores will be different again in the afl, but if they're scoring high in dt, there's a good chance they'll score high in sc.

After watching a few vids of swallow i think his scores might suffer as a sc player since he doesn't always hit targets on the full (which count as an ineffective kick in sc). Gaff however always hits his targets and absolutely racks up the possies.

There doesn't seem to be any issue regarding who'll get more games so my biggest concern about swallow is how much of the ball he gets and how many of those possies can turn into sc points.

Thoughts?

Junktimer

FEB 11 is NAB cup start

i personally will take both but if I could only choose one it would be Swallow.

Gaff was playing against juniors, Swallow was playing against men.

Theres a reason he was pick 1.

And IMO there's no reason why Swallow can't average 90+.  If Barlow, Anthony and Grimes coud do it, I don't see why one of the highest rated #1 draft picks of all can't.

Hawka

:D footys bak the day be4 the footy starts agian (well the nab  ::) )
u gota take both gaff will play from rnd 1 swallow will play from rnd 1
but like JT said it would b beta to take swallow

tom_scully

Will most probably take both. Both find plenty of the footy, both are pure class and playing in weak teams.

MiGZ

Quote from: Junktimer on January 03, 2011, 01:25:03 PM
FEB 11 is NAB cup start

i personally will take both but if I could only choose one it would be Swallow.

Gaff was playing against juniors, Swallow was playing against men.

Theres a reason he was pick 1.

And IMO there's no reason why Swallow can't average 90+.  If Barlow, Anthony and Grimes coud do it, I don't see why one of the highest rated #1 draft picks of all can't.

Barlow, Anthony and Grimes all had 3-4 years more experience than Swallow will have. Barlow and Anthony were both mature age and Grimes didn't start until a few years after he was drafted because of injuries, but was in the system all the same. That big Subiaco oval (Patterson sorry) will work to Gaff's advantage, but Swallow will still be top 3 in scoring for the draftees. Can't go wrong either way i think. While Gaff is hitting targets scoring points, Swallow will be crunching the contested possessions.

MTTY

The main things that split it for me

1.Gaff IMO would have been 2nd in the best div 1 player at the U18 champs (with Jacobs 3rd), but as good as that is , Swallow won the best div 1 player of the U18 champs the year before that at 16 years old.

2.Swallow has been playing against men for a year wherew as Gaff hasen't

3.While Gaff is a great ball magnet and user of the ball, Swallow gets more contested ball.

4. Swallow finished 4th in the B&F of the VFL at 17 years old

Dont get me wrong i want them both in my team but Swallow is better IMO

Boomz

it actually wouldn't surprise me if Gaff is a better fantasy player but Swallow better in general... Can't really judge yet though imo.

nas

Hawka

in my first fanplanner team i xdidnt pik gaff i picked shuey instead

j959

Quote from: hawka26 on January 04, 2011, 04:32:26 PM
in my first fanplanner team i xdidnt pik gaff i picked shuey instead
that's a tough one eh?
Shuey is very attractive cos of his price but do you risk his inj history against the 'smaller' frame of Gaff??

on topic, just get Swallow and Gaff. Is Gaff's efficiency/ball use really good enough for SC if he wasn't a rookie?

BoredSaint

will probs depend on price and pre season form..