How would you guys feel if the roos moved to tasmania.

Started by Holz, February 15, 2011, 08:36:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hawk_88

A 20 team competition has been mentioned a few times by Andrew Demetriou. North Queensland, Tassie and WA are the places most often mentioned. I doubt it would go ahead if North moved to Tassie as Tassie would be the most viable team of the three options.

However I can't see a half season in Tassie working, ignoring the logistics of the idea. I think that would damage either option. Tassie fans aren't exactly going to fall in love with a club that is only "half" committed to the state and North fans will start to drop off as well. I think in this case it has to be one or the other.

Holz

i dont like a 1/2 1/2 idea. either completely move or dont. I think WA could easily support a 3rd AFL club. the area (jondalup) where they are proposing it has a really big population. The AFL really needs to get into tasmania. GWS will flop they should have never decided to go there, when tasmania has heaps of footy fans.

nas

Just threw an idea out there but I agree also with above statements because the last thing we need is closure of a club or amalgamation as in the past. 

hawk_88

Not so sure GWS will flop. It is a long term prospect, not doubt, but it is area of such great population growth, especially a migrant population, so their is a market that doesn't have a sporting code preference yet so having a team that is directly for them with the marketing resources of the AFL, I think it will work. Either way this isn't something we can judge the success of in a couple of years as people will want to, this is a 20 year process.