Strategy to deal with my problems in defence

Started by Hondo71, April 03, 2009, 12:46:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hondo71

Like others, I have lost Hurley and Raines from what was already a risky defence.  However I still have 7 on the field this week (providing Suban plays).

My forwards are strong and all 3 rookies are playing.  I also have 100% of my premium players on the field to cover a donut (incl G Ablett as captain).

Rather than do what I think are wasted sideways trades on either Raines or Hurley, how's this for a strategy:

- wait till rnd 3 when my rookie forwards go up in value then trade one for a new rookie and then (hopefully) upgrade Raines or Hurley to a player in the $400Kish range

Hondo71

Not that there's heaps of obvious rookie forward options I can see

ShrewDext

Your pulling the trigger pretty soon there dont you think?

Wont be much cash in your culled cows that early in the piece and if there is that player might be worth keeping a little longer.

Raines is only 1 of many injuries that will occur in the next 21 weeks. Let the dust settle abit and see who's who in the zoo at each club.

tony73

With only two trades a week you have to consider injuries and non playing rookies this week.

I have traded Raines for Cheney and kept Hurley on the pine (liked his game), only trade this week and 22 will play

I think Cheney and Petrenko will keep playing in the short term, hill is my risk

If I am forced for a second trade next week it will most likely be Anthony depending on injuries this round

Hondo71

Yes, by round 4 Raines and Hurley may only be 1 week away anyway

I still think Raines is good value for the season

Hawks_1976

Hondo,

If you can still get 7 backs on the paddock, why worry about trading now?
These are not long term injuries, both players will be back by R5.
You have R2 covered, so only R3&4 to negotiate.
Just my opinion.

ronl

I've unloaded Raines, here's why.  Knee injury, will not train with main group, lose match conditioning.  Original diagnosis 4 weeks, usually means 5-6, then will take a game or two, possibly in VFL, to get match fit.  I'm not prepared to carry dead weight for that long.  As for Hurley, I'm a bomber man, but from what I've heard quad injuries in young players are taken very seriously - they're unusual - and can take a fair while to mend. I hate to say it but he could be out 3-5.  More dead weight.

Hondo71

Thanks for comments.  I am a first timer so I think I over-estimated how much increase in $ value I'd get by round 4.

I agree, no point jumping at shadows when I still have 7 on the ground.  Yes, Raines might be out longer.  But he might not too ...

I am not so fussed about Hurley because he's a rookie and, even if he's out to round 6, if he plays as well as he did round 1 then he'll be good value.

Rowan1812

Trade in Gilbert for Rained this week. Gilberts value will go up. In a few weeks you will be able to buy a better defender for Gilberts Price.