Trades are gold, Dont trade mmmm

Started by tony73, April 05, 2009, 12:42:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tony73

This is my first year in SC and many who seem to have a great deal of experience with SC say trades are gold and dont trade in the first 3-6 rounds or you are crazy!

Well I pose this to those and ask for advice.

I had Raines, Hurley, Anthony and Hentshel, all now injured

Also Rookies Petrenko, Hill, Rich, Walker, Danger. I believe 3 of those 5 are in danger of not playing (not Walker anymore)

Had I not traded Raines last week I would have been facing a snowballing effect leading into round 1 of the league comp and struggling to field 22 players and a raft of donuts.

And we have 7 games left this round!!! I agree with Monty that either Raines or Anthony was a must trade last week.

I can invisage using two trades this week before the prices change

Thoughts as to the don't trade advice?

Richo_Richo_Man

Trading early on does allow you to get rid of duds that will cause big $ loss. Ie b4 3 games. So Rd2 is the last opp to do so before $ are posted.

Putting 22 on the park is overrated early in the season, when u consider some players in your side can score <50. Is it worth it for 1 more player? Wait and inj players can come back unless serious inj.

I always feel the primary reason for trading is like shares...your investment has grown substantially and you cash in to upgrade to a better point scoring player.

Many people had Raines, me 2 and I've got Hents. I traded Raines for Cheney who incidentally was one of my floaters before R1 and I regret not taking the risk now. Raines has a knee inj and I feel it's too risky to hang on to him. If Cheney keeps scoring >50 I'll make money.

As for Hents...I've got a reasonable bench and on his return he only needs to score 40-60 to break even.

Oddly enough I have 6 crows in my side, inc Pets and Walk. I selected Tippett in a mouse control error (wanted Maric) but then the server jammed on the first Thurs. Pleased to see he surpassed his 16 with 98 last night.

Sorry I'm waffling on now, but thought you'd be interested as a crown fan. In summary I'd say pick 1-2 of your inj and trade for a known cash cow, b4 R3 to ensure you catch the rise in $.

Good Luck.

Cool9

OK, let me look at this. Firstly, all of those rookies you mentioned have been selected to play this week. No zeros there. Secondly, Raines and Hurley are DEF, Anthony MID and Hentschel FWD. Unless you have other missing players, no zeros there either. Always pays to check the final teams Fri arvo before making any trades.

Player prices will change after two rounds of scores. So a clever trade just before round 3 might be an opportunity to grab a likely-looking rookie (if he has played first two rounds) before his price rises. Round 3 is not the only opportunity to do this though as good rookies will continue to debut throughout the season.

Other than that, if you can avoid making early sideways trades you will thank yourself by about round 10, when the happenings of rounds 1-5 will be long forgotten anyway.

tony73

Richo,
My Raines trade last week was to Cheney as well and do now have 4 rooks down back with Pet and Hill required to play until Hurls can get back, I considered Pettard and Geary but have gone with the risk to make some bucks out of it.

Cool, I understand the coverage in the forwards and mids. I guess I'm concentrating too hard on 22 point scorers early and not the big picture in trading down the track for Premiums and big scores I just think Anthony will have to go next week to make cash on another cow (Otten or Robo) and he can then be picked up as a mid season cow.

The worst thing being my first year is that I'm absolutely hooked an may be dealing with a divorce in the very near future as well, LOL. And that trade will cost me heaps!!!!

Cool9

Bad luck on the divorce mate ... if you're serious about doing well in SC this year, you'd be better off taking out your SC addition by posting on fan footy forum rather than fiddling with your team! Good luck