The "overall rank" vs "league wins" furphy

Started by Cool9, April 28, 2010, 04:29:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex7089

Quote from: roo boys! on May 30, 2010, 08:08:03 AM
Im more going for a leauge win, dont stand a top 1000 chance for overall after i really stuffed up the first 4 rounds
gee good timing for league :o

Bedlam

Quote from: Cool9 on May 28, 2010, 08:20:50 AM
Are you saying you can't win your league if you finish in the top 4? Ridiculous
WTF I said trades are more important than top 4, cause you can win your league from anywhere in the 8, but you can't win a decent league with donuts in the final rounds

SC_Addict

The league I am in is ranked 151 overall with 2-3 players within the top 1000... just scraping a win is a task in itself! problem is... with 7 trades remaining for the rest of the season... im not sure whether to save them for finals or use them to secure a top 8 finish (currently 10th with 7-12th all on equal points)

Justin Bieber

I'm almost screwed in my toughest league but going alright in my other 2 8). 3rd lowest scorer overall but sitting 8th in my main league :D. Only 1 guy is out of it with only 1 win out of 8. 1 guy is almost gauranteed with 8 straight wins :o. Then have about 14 spots up for grabs with only 2 games between 2nd and 15th :(. 5 - 3 then 3 - 5 are seperating most of the ladder. League ranked 26th though.

With 7 trades left hoping to get top 10k ranking again this year but hoping at least to make the finals in my leagues. Some of the guys should have less trades but a few pretty sure still have 10 packing.

Alex7089

I am having a good run in my leagues, sitting 8-0 in my toughest league (ranked 75) and 8-0 in my friendly league. The the league I expect to finish top 4, leading on points by about 100 I think, yet sitting 6-2, and fourth on the ladder.  >:(

Should be able to breeze into the finals in all leagues though.

roo boys!

Lucky you, in one of mine im second on points scored but 8th on the ladder :P

Cambo

Quote from: Cool9 on April 28, 2010, 04:29:49 AM
OK everyone, explain to me how someone in the upper ranks of supercoach isn't also winning all their league matches? I often read "depends on whether you are going for league wins or overall rank" but can't understand what the difference is, given the objective in either case is to score as many the hell points as you can. The crunch point (and maybe the only reason you would conserve too many trades) is finals in rounds 19-22, but if you're trying to win supercoach you'll still want to blitz those rounds as well as the other 18.

So, I say trade well, pace your trading, and enjoy the points. 8)

I had the same thoughts until this week when I got a heap of injurys.  Now I had to choose between copping two donuts and possibly dropping big overall, or using a valuable trade to fill a hole, to keep me up overall but possibly weakening my chances at league wins...

Did one trade :-\

Barlow 21

I`ve just moved into 6th in my friends league and should make it to top 4. Have 10 trades left. :)

ossie85

Currently sitting 2nd, 2nd and 5th - reasonably happy with 9 trades left. Injuries starting to hurt though with Barlow, Mitchell, Ziebell, Brown and Gysberts

Prospector_1

Quote from: Cambo on June 12, 2010, 11:59:04 AM
Quote from: Cool9 on April 28, 2010, 04:29:49 AM
OK everyone, explain to me how someone in the upper ranks of supercoach isn't also winning all their league matches? I often read "depends on whether you are going for league wins or overall rank" but can't understand what the difference is, given the objective in either case is to score as many the hell points as you can. The crunch point (and maybe the only reason you would conserve too many trades) is finals in rounds 19-22, but if you're trying to win supercoach you'll still want to blitz those rounds as well as the other 18.

So, I say trade well, pace your trading, and enjoy the points. 8)

I had the same thoughts until this week when I got a heap of injurys.  Now I had to choose between copping two donuts and possibly dropping big overall, or using a valuable trade to fill a hole, to keep me up overall but possibly weakening my chances at league wins...

Did one trade :-\

Clear evidence that League vs. Overall genuinely does affect the team and the trades!

Sharker18

makes a big difference in how you trade...if you're going for a league win, i would much rather finish 8th with 6 trades in the bank come finals time, then dominate all year and finish top with 0-2 trades left!

in saying that if you're in a strong league you probably have to be aggressive with your trades to ensure making the top 8....