Main Menu

How Good Is Great?

Started by bunyip, April 15, 2010, 07:38:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bunyip

I'm a Geelong supporter and much has been said about what a Great team they are. This intrigues me because as far as I'm concerned they are not even the best GEELONG side ever.
You measure greatness by comparing results to other teams throughout history. The current Geelong team, good as they are have not won back to back premierships yet. If they do they will then be the best Geelong side EVER. A great GEELONG side.
If you look at premierships, the greatest team in history was Melbourne. Yes Collingwood supporters, I know about your 1927-1930 effort. Plus they were in two losing grand finals in 1925 and 1926.
So the Pies have 4 premierships in six years, and I can't help myself, I have to say this, in one of their premiership years they were beaten by Richmond by ten goals in a semi and went STRAIGHT into the grand final. Go figure.
Melbourne were in 7 GF's in a row and won 5. Collingwood stuffed it up in 1958 by winning a GF they had no right to, Melbourne were a much better side, but that is a part of history now.
What is never discussed is that Melbourne won the next two premierships. Any way you want to call it, they were the best team ever.
To get back to my original point, in my opinion, Geelong are still a long way off from being a Great side. They are a good team, one of the best Geelong teams ever, but if they fade this year and slip down the ladder thats all they ever will be
To be a truly great team I think you have to emulate what Collingwood and Melbourne did. They set the standard..
My apologies to Brisbane who have won three in a row and also Carlton who I believe have done it as well

ELLsendon

True, but they are a great side compared to other side AT THE MOMENT.

In history maybe not.

ossie85

Yes, but as much as Collingwood and Melbourne's effort will remain legendary, you have to realise that there were LESS teams (and therefore easier to win the flag) and no salary cap...

So are the Brisbane Lions and Geelong Cats worth of being called the greatest ever?

The Hawks have won 10 flags in 50 years

bunyip

True Ossie. I'm really talking about a a period in time when it is MOSTLY the same players.
Hawthorn's record since the 60's is unequaled. I suppose it depends on how you rationalize what a great team is to begin with.

Alex7089

Yeah but when you think about it, it was a lot easier to stay at the top once you were there back then. If you had players that would good you could pay them the coin and there was no salary cap. as Ossie said less teams, meaning a higher chance you'll win one (a premiership) It is very hard to classify a great team, every team that wins a flag is good, but I agree it takes time to become great. You need to dominate for a period to be the best. I think another thing that factors in is how good other teams t the time were in comparison to know, not sure how it worked in the 1920's but now the AFL gives the bottom teams the best opportunity to get the best young players, hence more even teams. I assume they had the region drafting in place back then...

Big Lance

As far as im concerned i think the Lions 3 peat in the 2000's is pretty much setting the standard for the modern era. The Hawks in the 80's played in 7 in a row, for Geelong to be considered amongst these 2 great modern era teams i think they need to go back to back this year or get another 2 in the next 4 years.

MissPiesFF

History is a grand thing, however history is not today. What we see today is Geelong winning most games in a time frame over 3 years. So yes they are the best side in the comp at the moment. Even though they lost to Freo does not  mean they are not the best in terms of stats.

Collingwood won outright against them in 2008 by a huge score, but still they were the best team around. Do not let history inflict upon your decisions and even the best team has a gruesome day.

bunyip