First year SC. Advice on going forward appreciated.

Started by GTSR, April 11, 2010, 05:55:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTSR

A mate told me to play the supercoach this year and with an hour to go before round 1 I slapped a team together. I did a quick search around various forums to see what others had done and copied Hodge, Enright and goddard as it was popular and then tossed a coin for kennelly v malcevski. Kennely got the nod and the rest was my own picking.
To all the people who had hodge,Enright and Goddard and posted there teams for all to see I say thanks.

Backs: Goddard, enright, hodge, Silvagni, B. Waters, T.Pears. ----> J.Lisle, J. Hunt

Mids: Montagna, Ablett, Cooney, Stanton, D.Martin, Bastinac. -----> Howlett, L.Jetta

Rucks: Sandilands, Naitanui. ----> R.STanley, M.Lobbe

Forwards: Riewoldt, J.Brown, Dangerfield, Gia, Medhurst, Hall, Podsiady. ----> Gumbleton, Monfries.

Average of 2248.

Trades to date. Before the start of this round I quickly realised that I had people on the bench that had yet to play and should have some coverage so I brought in Silvagni for another rookie I forget the name of and I also dumped Tom Hawkins and brought in J.Brown.
Prior to the start of round 3 Howlett was on the ground instead of bastinac and podsiadly ws on the bench and hawkins was on field.

What are peoples opinions on where I should be looking to improve upon first?(forgetting the riewoldt issue for now)

Yes I'd like to have Barlow and ROK in the team but I assume it would be more prudent to look to the future and trade out one of the bench rucks as neither have played a game? Nor has J.Lisle in the forwards.

While I am here can someone please explain the "cash cow" terminology frequently used on this board? i.e "keep the cash cows for now" "hes only good as a cash cow" " I'll trade out a cash cow for ablett/judd/selwood later on".

What exactly is a cash cow in this game, how and when are hey used, what are the downsides and lastly do I have any?

Thanks in advance to any replies given. I've learnt a lot in the last couple weeks and will play the game a lot differently next year. I've also noticed I watch football games in a very different manner.

ELLsendon

Cash cows are low priced players, bascially rookies (I would say waters is one this year) looking to earn you money as there average goes up.

Justin Bieber

for an hours work team looks alright.

cash cows are people just in your team just to gain cash for you. you could also classify danger, med, pears and hall as cash cows. not as cheap but should gain cash sometime this year.

keep the ruck bench. lobbe should get a run later in the year. NicNat should be a cash cow and should be traded out in a couple of rounds for a fallen premium (cox or jolly for example. had a few bad weeks but we all know they are capable of more).

a bit late to trade out rookies as all the good ones early have already risen in price after lockout.

James13579

Thats really good for your first year but get rid of P. Medhurst

Samm79

If Rockliff looks like getting games maybe replace Gia with him to free up some cash or maybe do the dreaded sideways swap for Rioli... Rioli has more improvement in him than Gia.

I am struggling to see how Gia can be influencial enough to get a good score this year.

Good luck! First timer here too, it is hard to get use to the lingo!

GTSR

Yeah going along OK with overall ranking ~3400 so in the top 1%. Mates are all shattered haha. Roo and danger did nothing but hall and podsiadly made the ground back up.

Quickly realising why the experienced players bang on about keeping trades. Already used two and have to replace riewoldt this week so another ones gone. Will keep medhurst and Gia for now and just replace roo this week which is a massive dilemma on its own.

Realising the forwards that run on the ball as well are very valuable like rioli, didak, boomer etc. But no idea which way to go. Then theres Pavlich and o'keefe and I was also considering Hurley if he gets named this week.

edit: Just looked at Hurley and will save some cash by picking him. He also is a forward/defender which would be handy. But I cant find where I see his 09 SC results?