Wells or Rich worth considering?

Started by WizzFizz, December 30, 2014, 10:11:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goosey

Quote from: ben_020285 on January 04, 2015, 06:13:54 PM
No to both. Guns and rookies in the midfield only.
Agree wholeheartedly, GNR!

Jackross10

GCSkiwi

I think it's a wait and see situation, Lots of people echoing the "guns and rookies" strategy but also I've seen a few midfields around RMSC where people have 5 elite midfielders and 6 basement priced rookies. In the event that 6 basement price rookies aren't lining up round 1, what do you do? Personally I reckon Wells and Rich can be good stepping stones, priced in the 60s and can score 80+, can't complain with that really... Rich will be interesting to see where he plays and where he sits in line to be tagged... Lots of people saying flat out no, I reckon he could be a bargain, particularly if the optimism on rooks doesn't pan out. Wells you can pay 360k to get a guy who's averaged 100 before, why the heck not? Don't expect either to be keepers but there's significant upside to both imo

bottlemart

Will look very closely at both Wells and Rich, bot have big upside, and can make just as much money as a rookie.

crowls

Quote from: GCSkiwi on January 04, 2015, 09:23:04 PM
I think it's a wait and see situation, Lots of people echoing the "guns and rookies" strategy but also I've seen a few midfields around RMSC where people have 5 elite midfielders and 6 basement priced rookies. In the event that 6 basement price rookies aren't lining up round 1, what do you do? Personally I reckon Wells and Rich can be good stepping stones, priced in the 60s and can score 80+, can't complain with that really... Rich will be interesting to see where he plays and where he sits in line to be tagged... Lots of people saying flat out no, I reckon he could be a bargain, particularly if the optimism on rooks doesn't pan out. Wells you can pay 360k to get a guy who's averaged 100 before, why the heck not? Don't expect either to be keepers but there's significant upside to both imo

Good points and will keep in mind if rookies dont look like starting and I need to get players on the ground.  Otherwise GNR

Ringo

Quote from: crowls on January 06, 2015, 04:58:10 AM
Quote from: GCSkiwi on January 04, 2015, 09:23:04 PM

Good points and will keep in mind if rookies dont look like starting and I need to get players on the ground.  Otherwise GNR
Great comments GCS and I will be  starting with Rich.  As you say priced at 60 and capable of pushing 90+. Waiting to see where he plays but I suspect he will start at HB with Hanley in mids. Prior to his acl last year he was starting of HB  a move by Leppa to help him get rid of tags and for those games averaged 93. Suspect he will attract a tag due to lethal left boot but will teams then let Hanley roam free with his devasting run. With Brisbane gains, think tags will be allocated by coaches to suit their game plan. Just remember also that this will be only Richs 6th season (really 5th due to ACL) where most midfielders start to produce their best as well.  Similar with Wells both priced in mid $300s and will provide nice price rises and stepping stones to premiums if not becoming a premium themselves.

Will not be as relevant if going with 5 prems and 5 rookies but if forced to 4 prems and 6 rookies well worth looking at.

crowls

Quote from: AaronKirk on December 31, 2014, 04:53:27 PM
Bellchambers nearly a lock.

Newnes, Ibbo, the Seed, Cannon and the prince down back

no mid pricers in the mids to consider... just don't get burned there.

maybe Kreuz or Leuey as well?
Like your avatar mate

GCSkiwi

Quote from: Ringo on January 06, 2015, 11:36:27 AM
Great comments GCS and I will be  starting with Rich.  As you say priced at 60 and capable of pushing 90+. Waiting to see where he plays but I suspect he will start at HB with Hanley in mids. Prior to his acl last year he was starting of HB  a move by Leppa to help him get rid of tags and for those games averaged 93. Suspect he will attract a tag due to lethal left boot but will teams then let Hanley roam free with his devasting run. With Brisbane gains, think tags will be allocated by coaches to suit their game plan. Just remember also that this will be only Richs 6th season (really 5th due to ACL) where most midfielders start to produce their best as well.  Similar with Wells both priced in mid $300s and will provide nice price rises and stepping stones to premiums if not becoming a premium themselves.

Will not be as relevant if going with 5 prems and 5 rookies but if forced to 4 prems and 6 rookies well worth looking at.
[/quote]

Yeah I'll be very interested to see how Lions line up, would have thought at least one of Hanley or Beams would get matched up on before Rich, ideally both but that's also optimistic! I like the theory of the gnr strategy but picking those rookies is often as much luck as it is smart selections. Obviously we all have to wait and se who lines up come round 1 but I'm leaning toward 4 prem + Wells, Rich and NVB + 4 rook midfield at the moment, think you can bank on Wells, Rich and NVB to outscore first year players and you know they should line up... Wait and see.

Ricochet

For those considering Rich...

Quote from: Ricochet on January 30, 2015, 01:52:51 PM
http://www.lions.com.au/news/2015-01-30/hanley-set-for-hip-surgery

Hanley set for hip surgery

Brisbane Lions Vice-Captain Pearce Hanley will undergo hip surgery and be sidelined for 12 weeks.

Hanley has developed soreness in recent weeks and been managed through training but the Club’s medical team believe it’s in his long-term best interest to have surgery now.

The surgery, scheduled for next week, will clean up bone and cartilage in the hip.

With a 12-week rehabilitation, it’s hoped he will only miss the first month of the AFL Premiership season.

Personally I expect Beams to get the first midfield tag but Rich will surely cop more attention now Hanley is out.

Ringo

Quote from: Ricochet on January 30, 2015, 01:59:25 PM
For those considering Rich...

Quote from: Ricochet on January 30, 2015, 01:52:51 PM
http://www.lions.com.au/news/2015-01-30/hanley-set-for-hip-surgery

Hanley set for hip surgery

Brisbane Lions Vice-Captain Pearce Hanley will undergo hip surgery and be sidelined for 12 weeks.

Hanley has developed soreness in recent weeks and been managed through training but the Club’s medical team believe it’s in his long-term best interest to have surgery now.

The surgery, scheduled for next week, will clean up bone and cartilage in the hip.

With a 12-week rehabilitation, it’s hoped he will only miss the first month of the AFL Premiership season.

Personally I expect Beams to get the first midfield tag but Rich will surely cop more attention now Hanley is out.
Will be interesting to see how Leppa structures the Team, trust he will leave Rich at HB and bring in Lester or Clay Beams to fill the midfield role.

On a side note Rich has really been laying into training as well.

strikes91

Redden and Green talking up Lester of the Half back line.