Birchall knee injury......

Started by Woppa15, February 11, 2015, 06:47:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mat0369

If the early scores are down doesn't that make him an ideal upgrade option allowing him to get a fitness base back?

Samm79

Quote from: Mat0369 on February 11, 2015, 08:49:05 PM
If the early scores are down doesn't that make him an ideal upgrade option allowing him to get a fitness base back?

Yes sir

Ricochet

Ringo

Quote from: Samm79 on February 11, 2015, 10:24:38 PM

Yes sir
Agree here but as we know with only 30 trades trading has to be subjective.  Question for me is with the dearth of quality in the backline this year can I afford an extra trade to upgrade to Birchall or take his scores and save a trade. Is this any different to prems who may start slow?

ben_020285

This is unfortunate news but I think if he is named round 1, which he probably will be, then I will still pick him.

Rusty00

The Hawks playing Monday in Rd.1 is going to throw up some conundrums for coaches this year.

If Birchall is named do you select him and risk him being a late out if his knee isn't fully ready to go? Limits your replacement options.

Also I'm predicting Whitecross will be named on the extended bench for Rd.1 just to mess with our heads even more :-\ :P

RaisyDaisy

Quote from: Rusty00 on February 12, 2015, 12:04:23 PM
The Hawks playing Monday in Rd.1 is going to throw up some conundrums for coaches this year.

If Birchall is named do you select him and risk him being a late out if his knee isn't fully ready to go? Limits your replacement options.

Also I'm predicting Whitecross will be named on the extended bench for Rd.1 just to mess with our heads even more :-\ :P

I could be wrong, but I don't remember seeing too many late changes in previous round 1's. Usually the teams go in selected at round 1

We will learn more about Birch in the coming weeks, no need to panic just yet :)

Jackross10

Yes just have spare cash for Burgs or. Hodge

Mat0369

Quote from: Ringo on February 12, 2015, 08:37:28 AM
Agree here but as we know with only 30 trades trading has to be subjective.  Question for me is with the dearth of quality in the backline this year can I afford an extra trade to upgrade to Birchall or take his scores and save a trade. Is this any different to prems who may start slow?

The Hawks have the first bye so you obviously would want some round 11 upgrade options. You are better off picking 3 other options like Shaw, Smith, Simpson etc. and then planing for Birch to be that upgrade if he is fit and healthy by then. Right now in my side I have swapped him over to Newnes who I will monitor and if I am unimpressed I have left enough cash to bring in anyone under Brodie Smith.

You have to leave enough cash to swap him to one of Burgoyne, Hodge or Gibson.

Whitecross we should know by the Sunday meaning we should have enough time to swap him to one of Marchbank, Murdoch, Colq, Lever and McKenzie

The_Captain

It's only a medial... he has over 6 weeks till his first game. I reckon he should be sweet by then..

Then again, they may go for a no risk approach and nurse him till about round 3....

honza

Injured players tend to have a bad score in their last game that crimps their price by 10-30k. It's important to have enough buffer so you can straight trade to an equal player, rather than burning 2.

I'll keep Birchall on hand as a trade in, definitely won't be holding.

Holz

Quote from: Ringo on February 12, 2015, 08:37:28 AM
Quote from: Samm79 on February 11, 2015, 10:24:38 PM

Yes sir

I think there are enough premos avilable to pick him up later. e.g. Hibberd Shaw Simpson etc..

meow meow

He'll play the last nab challenge match and be fit and firing by round 1. Players have done the bulk of the conditioning work already and he'll barely lose any fitness. Birch goes for the occasional dash down the wing but I wouldn't say his game is built around gut running anyway. He'll be fine.