Brisbane Trades and Draft discussion Thread

Started by Ringo, September 10, 2014, 10:47:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ringo

Have just seen the highlights reel of all the draftees and really impressed with McGuiness,  He plays a similar type role to what Patful does and will be a handy edition to our defensive stocks. Looks to read the play well and seems to have an accurate kick when finding players up the ground.

Also think Andrews looks a better prospect than Dawson as it appears like he can be used in a number of positions (including ruck) across the ground.

Bully

Quote from: Ringo on December 01, 2014, 11:09:22 AM
Have just seen the highlights reel of all the draftees and really impressed with McGuiness,  He plays a similar type role to what Patful does and will be a handy edition to our defensive stocks. Looks to read the play well and seems to have an accurate kick when finding players up the ground.

The knock on him last year was kicking depth but he's really sorted that out and has maintained an excellent level of accuracy. All things considered, he isn't unlike KK in the way he approaches his footy, both being Tasmanians they have kept in pretty close contact too. Given KK went at 5 and you snared McGuinness in the 5th round I think it's fair to say you have a bargain on your hands.

As for McGrath, on talent he should be a 2nd rounder, he's just had a wretched run with injury. But being an AIS boy he has the pedigree and the smarts, against Collingwood reserves he would have been close to BOG, only to be pipped by Brayshaw. Again, I have to say great pick-up.

Over two years now Brisbane have scooped up quite a few of my favourite players, last year it was Aish & Taylor, this year McGuinness & McGrath. I think the Lions are building beautifully.

Ringo

Brisbane's Rookie Draft Picks

# Pick 4 Billy Evans
Former club:   Bendigo Pioneers
Height:   187cm
Weight:   82kg
Position:   Midfielder
A medium sized midfielder at 187cm and 82kg, Evans has an invaluable tool at his disposal _ goalkicking. Across 12 matches for the Bendigo Pioneers in this year's TAC Cup, he kicked an impressive 14 goals, adding 23 touches, four marks and four clearances per game. Having worked hard on his fitness, Evans played all six matches for Vic Country in the under-18 championships in a ruck-rover role and admires the way Sydney Swans midfielder Josh Kennedy approaches his football.

# Pick 22 Hugh Beasley
Former club:   Oakleigh Chargers
Height:   190cm
Weight:   86kg
Position:   Defender
Key defender with a real appetite for negating his opponent. At 190cm, he is on the slightly shorter side for his position, but over the past two years has shown he can mix it with the genuine giants. Last year he restricted Tom Boyd to one goal and in 2014 he was excellent against top-five draft prospects Paddy McCartin and Peter Wright. Rarely beaten in one-on-one contests, his 2.86sec speed over 20m allows Beasley to close space quickly. He is also agile enough to play on medium forwards, and had a disposal efficiency of close to 80 per cent for his 16-disposal average through the TAC Cup.

and as expected with pick 39 we took Matthew Hammelmann and with our final pick Cian Hanley.

MATTHEW HAMMELMANN
Recruited from: Morningside
Height: 197cm
Weight: 88kg
Position: Forward

Tall forward with strong hands in front, on the lead and overhead. Has good pace off the mark to get separation on his opponent. Showed promise in the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships, averaging 10 disposals, seven marks and two goals in three matches. Finished equal-seventh in the running vertical jump (87cm) at the NAB AFL Draft Combine. NAB AFL Academy Level 2 member and in Lions Academy.

Club Comments
http://www.lions.com.au/news/2014-12-03/four-more-for-lions
http://www.lions.com.au/news/2014-12-03/meet-the-rookies

Great to see we are looking to the future with the number of defenders we have taken this year given the pending retirements of Merrett and Maguire and jed Adcock getting on as well. Great number of talls recruited,

Nice recruiting overall.

Bully

Brisbane have snared another one of my fancies, Hugh Beasley is a great pick-up folks. Not only is he lightening quick but he has several huge scalps at TAC level - Boyd, McCartin & Wright. The big knock on him last year was his one dimensional negating game but he really stepped up to the plate this year and became a very dangerous play maker. On top of that he was thrown forward on occasion and collected some big bags of goals. My hope is he becomes a tall midfielder, I think he has the capabilities given he's a very good decision-maker.

Well done Lions, great drafting all round.

Nige

nrich102