16 legit premiums, and 6 mid rookies

Started by Arky, March 18, 2010, 02:50:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arky

I have my doubts about this version over the last version I posted, but having only 6 players I need to upgrade during the season and most of them be midfielders (where most of the best buys usually hang out) is very, very frigging tempting.

D:  Goddard, Enright, Bock, Hodge, Heath Shaw, Grimes, Waters   (Maguire, Silvagni)
M:  Bartel, Cooney, Martin, Barlow, Jetta, Banner (Shuey, either Howlett or JKT)
R:  Sandilands, Clark   (Warnock, Grimley  ;D )
F:  N Riewoldt, ROK, Pav, Lockyer, Gia, Harvey, Rockliff  (Podsiadly, Roberts)

$6,500 left.

Serious abuse of bottom-price rookie bench players, obviously.  I expect these guys to play but if they don't, I may need to bite the bullet, downgrade a back to Hunt or Lockyer to Campbell, then splash that money around to make up for having one less keeper.

I guess the wet dream is Waters turns into an 85+ averag 7th back and Barlow and Martin both become Liam Anthony, and suddenly I can throw all my money in buying Ablett, Swan and Chapman and trading to cover any    injury of any consequence :)

Thoughts?

numberwang

a few people might try this route - will be interesting to see if you pull it off.
team not bad...im still not convinced of cooney.
howlett or jkt indeed...
i take it grimley is your "he wont score but will give me 20K because skipper is gone for 6-8 and there is no one else" 4th ruck?

Arky

yeah.  I just switched skipper for him on the fly.  we'll see how things shake out with the hawthorn ruck situation.  I'm not tied to picking Grimley there :)

Re: structure, there's pretty clearly two structures being used by most serious DTers.  One will start a metric ton of midprice value guys (mostly Malceski, Kennelly, Hunt, Ladson, Waters, Hall, Grey, Ziebell, Dangerfield and any ruck between Seaby and Tippett) and usually at least one mid who they tell themselves must be going to be a keeper this year (mostly Ball or Masten) and pray to God that a few of these guys really do become keepers  (this is probably 75% of teams being posted), and the rest of us are trying to play a more traditional keepers+rookies strategy, and it seems that the only way to attempt that is going to be to load rookies in the midfield

Twin Peaks

i like this a lot, however rebuilding teams are always strong on blood the rookie language but often one poor performance find them back for a week in the VFL, its a great strategy but subject to the ficklness of coaches

antonc

I would probably downgrade a forward player.
Why not Tarks to Hall (could av 80+ this year) Matty C could do this as well, but prob depends how much he will be used in the mids.
This will leave you 134K for upgrading either Howlett or JKT and roberts (hitchcock is of the rookie list now!!)
Hope this helps